Shaking monitor?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by lieb39, Apr 21, 2003.

1. lieb39

lieb39 Apple lover, PC User

Help! My monitor which is hooked up to my laptop (because my laptop monitor isn't working) is shaking. Like not the actual thing but the picture is. What could be causing this?

2. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

Bad connection
    Moire control (can be found via on-screen display.. if you have one)
    try changing the Refresh rate
    try changing the Resolution

3. toxicity

toxicity Guest

I have had a case where a program was making the picture shake on the computer i use at school. after they re-imaged it, the shaking/flickering went away.
    It could be the same case you have

4. Nick M

Nick M Moderator

Could be either one of the following :

Bad refresh rate

Bad resolution ( too high, too low; unsupported )

Bad connection.

Shaking caused by lack of voltage. If you're using an AC adapter, and pluggin it in somewhere, check there aren't too many devices connected. Make sure to check this one, it's happened to self and a few people I know before.

5. scriptasylum

scriptasylum Moderator

Do you have any other devices: lamps (esp flourescent), transformers (wall warts), or motors (like in larger fans) near the monitor? The inductive nature of these devices will cause the symptoms you describe.

6. Alex_is_Axel

Alex_is_Axel .:: FTPAlex ::.

I was gonna suggest those things too because i have a TV to the left of my main monitor and my second monitor on the other side of my main monitor (its very cozzy :p) When i turn either my TV or my second monitor, my main monitor faintly flickers and shakes slightly

Thought you might like to know :D

Sincerly Alex:cool:

7. funky dredd

funky dredd Moderator

It could be a virus as well. There was a virus that went around a few years ago called "stoned". It would make your monitor shake and then the screen would go black and say "you've been stoned".

8. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

Subwoofers and other speakers should be kept away from the screen for instance.

It could also be the screen going bad I guess. My brothers screen started twitching a few days ago. Time for scrap on that one. Probably dying high voltage regulator.

9. jonifen

jonifen pffff...

aye, my mate had a wobbly monitor too - it died a few weeks later

when I asked him what caused the wobbliness - he said "i dont know - i set the Hz to 85 like I do on my PC... but I changed nothing else"

wobbly monitor = 14" ~6y/o cheap effort (running 800x600)
    his own monitor = 17" adi (running 1024x768)

might be worth checking the refresh rate

10. lieb39

lieb39 Apple lover, PC User

Its very weird because its hooked up to my laptop (dlieb) and for some reason I have 3 monitors. When I change the refesh it doesn't change anything. Oh well, in a week I am getting a new laptop and formatting that one. Thanks!

-lieb39