Setup is restarting... fatal error

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by stj-zeppelin, Dec 1, 2002.

1. stj-zeppelin

stj-zeppelin Guest

Well, i'm not really sure what section this thread should be in so i apolgize in advance.
    Ok, the other day i was playing monopoly ty****, while, my pc froze. So i figured i should update some drviers and all that.
    Everything worked out ok... i went to bed and my roomate stayed in the pc. Then the next morning i started the pc and i got something like a hal.dll file is missing (he said he didn't notice anything wrong) <- yeah right.

Anyway, i decided to reinstall windows xp (stupid i know, not very smart!!), i have a brunt copy and anyway... it got to the 3rd stage "installing windows" and then came up "FATAL ERROR" SETUP LOG DOES NOT contain enough information to install ( or some mojo ike that) i click ok then the setup log pops up "product catalog files are missing" ( or something along those lines)

Anyway now when ever i reboot my pc it goes directly into "SETUP is restarting..." then give me those horrible errors.

Please help me.....:blink:

2. XP Abuser

XP Abuser Guest

do a format and reinstall windows ha wouldnt think it would block out **** in ty****

3. stj-zeppelin

stj-zeppelin Guest

well, that will be my last resort, of course.
    but thanks
    anyone else?
    :cool:

4. XP Abuser

XP Abuser Guest

wait hold up can you still get into your old installation???

5. stj-zeppelin

stj-zeppelin Guest

when i boot up, it goes directly to "SETUP IS RESTARTING...", then screen goes black, hour glass comes up and then i see the install screen for about 10 seconds, then fatal error!

6. allan

allan Guest

Boot to your XP CD and select the second repair option about four screens in (do not take the first repair option - that will drop you at the repair console). Then allow XP to do a "repair installation", installing on top of itself. It will repair any errors but will not mess up registry entries, so you won't have to reinstall your programs.

7. stj-zeppelin

stj-zeppelin Guest

ok, thats sounds good. i'll give that a try.

I'll let you all know what happens

:) thanks again

8. allan

allan Guest

Be sure to Press "R" at that second repair option or you'll end up with a "new installation" and your registry will be overwritten and you'll have to reinstall your apps.

9. stj-zeppelin

stj-zeppelin Guest

i did press "r" and it was trying to repair. then a internal error came up... "cannot finsh installation. blah blah blah... contact your sys admin"

so i formated and plan on reinstalling tonight! lol got to love it