Setting up communications cable between two XP computers

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Diligent1, Feb 23, 2003.

1. Diligent1

Diligent1 Guest

Hi
    Just bought a new system and need to transfer a lot of files. Trying to make direct connection. When I select "create a new connection" under "Network Connections" and select "Set up an advanced connection" the "Connect directly to another computer" option is greyed out. Therefore I cant set it up as instructed at

http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...kb;en-us;305621

Anyone...please?

Also... I have an ethernet card on both systems with a connection from one to the other. Which settings should I use for this method?

Thank you so much in advance.

Dave

2. jkipk

jkipk OSNN Addict

You need to use a "crossover" cable to do this, I believe. A straight cat5 network cable won't work. You can either get a crossover, or you can rewire the one you have, or you can get a little adapter.

hope this helps,

kip

3. deadzombie

deadzombie Guest

Crossover cable using the 2 systems NICs works perfect...WinXP should autodetect the second computer.

4. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

Well you're doing it all wrong. Don't make a new connection. Just connect the computers and:
    - Make sure the light go on (correct cable or not).
    - Give one the IP 192.168.0.1 and the other 192.168.0.2, subnet masks 255.255.255.0.
    - Make sure they are both in the same workgroup.
    - On one computer share the folder you want to transfer from/to.
    - On the other computer browse the network to find the other computer and the share.
    - Transfer the files!

Finding the other computer on the netowork can sometimes be a problem. Pinging is good to see if there is a connection. Write ping 192.168.0.1 in the console of 192.168.0.2 and vice versa. If this works I usually just give it some time and try later if they still won't find eachother in the network browser.