Setting screen resolution before starting a game

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by donkey, Apr 23, 2003.

1. donkey

donkey Guest

I was trying to play Civ 3 at a mates place. He only has a 15 inch monitor and the screen can't handle 1024x768. Only 800x600.

Anyway, I tried playing but the Civ 3's default resolution it seems is 1024x768. The screens all blurry, etc...

The question I have is there anyway to set Civ 3's resolution to 800x600 before playing. If not, how can I go about fixing this.

Thanks

2. donkey

donkey Guest

Updating resolution

I'm working on a mates computer and he needs to have his resolution set at 1024 x 768. It's currently set at 800 x 600.

I just went to display settings and increased the resolution to 1024 x 768 but the screen just went all flickered and I could see anything.

How can I make it so that I can change this to 1024 x 768.

Here's some info

Name: SiS 630/730
    Manufacturer: Sis
    Chipset Type: 730 Rev 1
    Dac Type: Internal
    Approx Total Memory: 31.0 MB
    Current Display Mode: 800 x 600 (32 bit)(Optimal Refresh Rate)
    Monitor: Default Monitor

Also, the main driver is sis630m.drv

Thanks

3. donkey

donkey Guest

Actually, I just read the manual. It is a requirement of Civ 3 to play in 1024x768 resolution.

4. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

See if your friend can update his cards driver. Might give him more resolutions.

5. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

Have a look at your other thread in apps. That's the one I got to first. :D

6. BonyTony

BonyTony Moderator

You can put the line "KeepRes=1" in the Civilization3.ini file.(that tells the game to run Civ 3 at the same resolution as your windows desktop)... and then change your desktop resolution to 800-600 on restarting the game it should set @ 800-600.

7. donkey

donkey Guest

I tried this. I tried "KeepRes=1" and "Keep Res=1" but both didn't work. Is it possible with this game since a requirement for the game is 1024 x 768.

8. Indomidable

Indomidable Guest

You might want to check to see if your friends Monitor can support Higher Resolutions like 1024x768
    Normally if windows can slide the bar up to it then the driver windows is using supports it.

For your updated drivers or new ones check out this site here
    http://www.jetway.com.tw/evisn/download/driver/index-2.htm
    Be sure to scroll down 1/4 of the way to VGA section under the 630\730 section then download your O/S's driver.

9. Indomidable

Indomidable Guest

10. donkey

donkey Guest

Thanks Indomidable. That's what I was looking for. I'll try it out and see if that works.

11. donkey

donkey Guest

Installed the updated drivers but no go. It doesn't work.

Just guess the resolution wasn't supposed to be 1024 x 768 or Civ 3 just doesn't allow it.