Services tweaks for SP2

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by napalmnthemorning, Aug 21, 2004.

1. napalmnthemorning

napalmnthemorning Moderator

Can someone direct me to a link for the tweaks for services in XP that can be disabled, manual or automatic without major problems. And will change for SP2? Anybody know what happened to BlackViper. (I know this has probably been asked a million times, but since I had to reformat with SP2 I'm having to redo everything!) thanks boys and ladies, whoever you are. :)

2. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

3. Tuffgong4

Tuffgong4 The Donger Need Food!!!! Political User

he's scary...everytime I go to his website the pic of him if that is him bothers me

4. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

5. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

Fine here.

6. napalmnthemorning

napalmnthemorning Moderator

No problems as well, however when I tried the last couple days I was getting a 403. Blackvipers services configurations are for SP1, but probably won't be much different for SP2 Thanks dreamliner77

7. Heeter

Heeter Overclocked Like A Mother

BlackViper writes in his current news section that he will/should have his service config's updated to SP2 posted during this week on his site.

Heeter

8. Lee

Lee OSNN Proxy

I take sisoft's sandra's advice on what services to disable after running it. I usually have 5 or so disabelled. Even after that i don't see any improvement in speed.

9. Shamus MacNoob

Shamus MacNoob Moderator Political User

I dont see anything change after looking at his site and trying a few , its not rocket science ( just go get more ram ) forget trying to find 1-2mbs hidden in a service. LOL

10. the milkman

the milkman OSNN Junior Addict

ive no problems with BlackViper after upgrade to sp2 works well for me:)

11. Lee

Lee OSNN Proxy

Sounds good!

4 silver tops, 1 red top and a gold top on Sunday please milky!

12. leedogg

leedogg Gojyone kawaiiiiiiii!

From what I understand, disabling services doesnt improve the speed of your pc, just the startup time.

13. Lee

Lee OSNN Proxy

Just pointless running services I do not require.

14. leedogg

leedogg Gojyone kawaiiiiiiii!

well. there are good things and bad things about disabling some of the services. Some you may not need most of the time, but certain applications require them (mbsa requires workstation service for example) and others are outright potential vulnerabilities (messenger and remote registry..wtf?) for example. I've seen quite a few times, people disable certain services and then later discover the resulting problems which they have no clue how to fix or what caused them.