Server

Kush

High On Life!
I know that there is software to be a ftp server, such as ServU or whatever it was called i forgot, but i used to use it. well i wanted to know is there software so i can run an http server so i have my own .com without signing up to service since i am always connected.

Well if you have XP pro it has IIS right on the XP cd, you just need to install it from the add/remove windows components menu

as for having a .com

You still need to buy the .com address you want or else the way people will connect to you is using your IP address. If you really wanna buy a .com name then I suggest www.dotster.com you can buy a domain for like 12 bucks for a year.

whats the difference

well whats the difference. wont if i buy a domain they will have to connect to the server by ip? whats the difference between the domain company able to have a domain and not me?

Try DNS2Go.
It "registers" a domain with their suffix and ponits it to whatever IP address your at.

Because the Domain company registers your domain with the internet Root Nameservers...which you can't do. as Schultz mentions you cna use DS2go and get a domain like that.

but if you wanted say www.mydomain.com you'd have to pay for it. or else nothing would happen when people type it in since the nameservers of the net wouldn't point to you

I use to run a few websites. I just bought the domain and then had the domain set up to forward all request to my comp. That way people just typed in www.mydomain.com and it was forwarded to my computer. they didn't have to memorize an IP or such.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back