server questions

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Tuffgong4, Aug 13, 2003.

1. Tuffgong4

Tuffgong4 The Donger Need Food!!!! Political User

I don't think I put this thread in the right place but here goes. I'm trying to learn how to run a server and am wondering where is the best place on the web to learn how to do this. IF anyone can point me in the right direction would be much appreciated...

2. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

What kind of server do you want to run? There are several different kinds: Web, FTP, mail, Telnet etc.

Assuming you want to run a web server, Apache would be your best bet. PHPDev is really easy to setup. It includes Apache 1.3.20, along with PHP4.06, ActivePerl5.6, and MySQL3.23
    http://www.firepages.com.au/dev4.htm

I'm moving this to the Networking section. I think you should be able to get more responses there :)

3. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

are you doing this on a separate machine, which OS are you wanting to use

4. Tuffgong4

I'm going to be running one for my bro's friend and he's going to pay me to run it. I'm up for any suggestions really...I know my way around a computer but never really tried setting up a server or my options setting one up

5. Tuffgong4

ok I double checked the email that he sent me and this is what he wants me to find out
    start up costs for server and any other things needed.

Revenue producing possibilities such as affiliate programs, web space rental, site maintenance, ect.

Also your technical capabilities

6. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

If you want a stable webhosting machine then I would recommend FreeBSD 4.8 from http://www.freebsd.org

Then install Apache/MySQL/PHP/Mail/FTP
    If you want to do hosting cPanel might be an idea.
    You will also need a fast line for this, and probably control over your own DNS servers or something like that.