XP Bad Ass
I am going to build a server in the near future, here is what I was thinking:
1GHz PIII
Supermicro Super 370SSM Motherboard
512MB PC-133
GeForce2 400MX
Integrated Wavetable Audio
40GB Ultra ATA/66

What would you all suggest for CPU, mobo, Case, ram and so forth, any picture?

I will mainly be using this server for playing back DiviX movies and DVDs on my TV, along with being an extra gaming machine for an LAN parties that I should be hosting.

Note: I do not want to sound like a snob, but my budget for my computer is large, so that is not a problem

if ur into some heavy gaming.. and money is not a prob.. go with dual AMD's.. and a GF3 TI 500.. any creative sound card is good.. the case doesnt matter.. but i would find one that looks nice and has an intake and outake fan mounts.. for overclocking..512k of pc2700 is great.. but why not get 2 512 sticks of memory if u got the money? pIII;s are nice.. and stable.. but so are AMD's and cheaper.. and they perform just as well.. i would never go back to intel chips.. 60gb or 80gb harddrives.. one 60 and one 80 is good.. the 80 is for all your files like movies.. music.. games.. etc.. ATA 133 is the latest..

oh Tyan makes dual AMD chip motherboards.. so any kind of dual amd Tyan motherboard with ATA 133 and that supports at least 1.5gb of DDR ram is great

I was thinking about going dual, and on a tyran board. looks good.
Does anyone else have a home server, and if so, what are the specs?

It sounds like you want to build a workstation...
Servers should be more stable than fast...
The amount of software and tasks should be limited just for that purpose...

My server runs:
web
ftp
mail
chat
ICQ Groupware for the network, as well as ICQ for the net
news,,, this one's new
Unreal Tournament
print
file
jukebox
routing
internet caching
firwalling
network virus scanning
network defragging
system backups for the network

and is a Compaq7478 550mhz K6-2 with a Coolmaster Athlon HSF,,, 512k of ram, an ATI 8meg 3d Rage Pro video card, 8x Acer Cd-rom,,, no case just a chassis ,,, a 300w power supply and Windows2000 Advanced Server... I've often thought of upgrading it but it's stable and handles everthing it needs to at it's speed...

I would recommend going with a MSI master board and putting as much ram as you can in it then setting it up with a ram drive,,, Dual 1.2mp processors,,, more than that and your gonna have to start worrying about cooling... Also an Antec server case... Since you have plenty of money get a good stable OS,,, Windows 2000 Server, Advanced Server or even Linux... Get at least 3 hard drives and a Promise SX6000 controller...

Also put 2gigabit NICs to run that thing at it's max and a gigabit router so you don't have bottlenecks...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back