Separate DVI and VGA to one screen?

Mainframeguy

Debiant by way of Ubuntu
I asked this at end of another thread - but decided it should have it's own thread as a separate question.

So - background is at end of this thread here

But basically has anyone ever taken the VGA and DVI leads from ONE monitor and plugged them into TWO DIFFERENT machines both powered on? Then tried switching between DVI and VGS modes on their monitor to "toggle" between the machines? If that would work for me it would be pretty neat....

I am hoping someone has done it and can advise....

Also if it carries any danger advice would again be appreciated....

As long as you have a switch that determines which feed is active on the monitor there should be no problem connecting two different machines since the monitor will only be receiving one feed at a time.

possibly, check to see if u have the option like jw50 said. Yolu could also just get a cheap kvm switch and then you wouldnt even need another keyboard and mouse.

A friend of mine had this setup on his Dell computer and screen plus his server (som old IBM or something). It worked very well without any KVM switch. The desktop was connected via DVI and the server via D-sub (VGA as you say). He could select computer with a button on the screen that changed between DVI and D-sub. The mouse and keyboard however is still tied to one computer of course.

I have a similar button on my screen (Hercules 920 Pro DVI), but since I only have one connector (DVI-I) on the screen I will need a splitter cable before I could try it.

Thanks all!

Esp. Zedric - I shall try it now soon enough, there will not be so much room for my feet under the tiny desk I have but it will be worth it for the transition - and I shall post here of course on the outcome :cool: ;)

well I tried it and it worked for a little while....

stopped now though and I am worrying my 9700 card may have fried :eek: I could not be certain the arctic cooler applied properly and part of its casing was in touch with a component.....

I shall experiment further - wish I had a cheap VGA card to swap with it and try though :(

OK got it working now - think it was something to do with having not conjnected all my IDE devices (God only knows why - both masters were on).... Basically been building my new AMD64 system today and found I am an IDE short - went back to my PII and stole an old one while waiting so that I could boot machine and get on with format - that is running now while I am using the DVI mode ;) It's neat but can get confusing with all the keyboards and stuff ;)

Glad it worked! :)

But yeah, the keyboards and mice do tend to get mixed up when switching computers. ;)

ignipotentis said:
Thats why someone invented the KVM
Haha, yes of course. But since it's just two of each I'd probably just get used to it instead of bying another gadget. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back