Send To Question - QuickLaunch Shortcuts

kcnychief

??? ??? ?
Political Access
What I want to be able to do is modify the SendTo Menu, so it includes an option that will behave similar to the SendTo Desktop. I want to be able to right-click, go to SendTo, and have a shortcut, not the entire file or folder, go to the QuickLaunch bar.

If you go into the SendTo folder, and put a shortcut to quicklaunch, it will send the entire folder or file, not a shortcut.

I know how to do it via a script, and through shareware:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/resources/qanda/sept05/hey0901.mspx

http://www.gabrieleponti.com/software/

But I don't want to do that for end users.

Thoughts?

Just have em drag the icon onto the quick launch bar. Easy, Done! :)

Edit: Maybe this may help: http://www.ss64.com/nt/shortcut.html
Edit2: Maybe not.
Dragging to the bar is not an option, I want a SendTo.

Thanks for the link, but that doesn't do it either ;)

I have actually gotten very creative in trying to figure ways out to accomplish this, nothing yet but I have some cool stuff :D

hmm.. interesting (wannbe) tweak. I would have just said create the shortcut in the quick launch, but you want to create a shortcut.. not move the whole item.

If there was a way to pass the file/folder you right-click/send to with, you could use the vbscript and pass the file into the vbscript to create the shortcut and just put the vbscript file in the send to folder. Unfortunatly, my quick test doesn't seem to pass anything automatically.
But, it does have to pass something..

edit: BAH! It does pass it as a parameter. I had a typo in my quick and dirty test script.
Give me a minute, let me work something up.

Last edited:
I played with the script a bit, and while it does accomplish the task, it doesn't create the SendTo menu as desired.

This is something we want to be able to implement globally.

Fwiw, I actually used that SendToToys I think it's called (link above), and did a WinDiff on the registry before and after to see what keys it changed. Unfortunately, the keys weren't actually changed, they were created. The keys were also proprietary, which would be useless without the actuall application present.

I played with the script a bit, and while it does accomplish the task, it doesn't create the SendTo menu as desired.

This is something we want to be able to implement globally.

What do you mean it doesn't create the sendTo menu as desired?

Code:
'Pulls the argument that gets passed to the vbscript file.
'When you Right-click and go to sendTo and select an option, the full path
'Of the file or folder gets passed (ie: "c:\windows\notepad.exe")
'Full path is assigned to the variable strTarget
strTarget = wscript.arguments(0)

'Creates the File System Object
set objFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

'Creates Shell Object
set objShell = CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")

'Pulls a list of environment variables
Set colEnvironmentVariables = objShell.Environment("Volatile")

'Gets the path to the users Quick Launch folder
'Assigns the path to the strFolder variable
strFolder = colEnvironmentVariables.Item("APPDATA") & "\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\"

'Pulls the basename of the target
'Example: "c:\windows\notepad.exe" -- will only pull the "notepad.exe" portion
strShortName = objFSO.GetBaseName(strTarget)

'Creates the Shortcut object in the quickLaunch folder
set objShortCut = objShell.CreateShortcut(strFolder & strShortName & ".lnk")

'Sets the shortcut to the target
objShortCut.TargetPath = strTarget

'Saves the shortcut
objShortCut.Save

1) Drop this script into the windows directory (or any other folder on the client)

2) Create a shortcut to this script in the "c:\documents and settings\%username%\SendTo" folder.

3) Rename Shortcut to whatever you want.. something like "Send to Quick Launch Bar As Shortcut" (create a nice icon if you really want to get real fancy..)

When you right click a file/folder, select send To/%shortcut you created%
It will create a shortcut in the users QuickLaunch bar to the file or folder

edit: This is not the most elegant script.. and not the most debugged script. Use it at your own risk.. I'm assuming you have the ability to hack it up and modify it more to your specific needs.. You can add error checks and the like and/or edit the short cut descriptions and other properties if you want as well.

Last edited:
Wow that does work, simply amazing fitzy!

I'll probably make a neat little icon for it too :)

I still want to try and figure out what the registry entries for this would be though.

Always good to know something I try works :)

I'm curious as to how you got this figured out, perhaps you could comment your above post?

Makes perfect sense, thanks man.

Rep++

-edit-

When I can :(

This is an easy fix to do!
Simply EXPLORE c:/documents and settings/username. The find the folder SEND TO and open it. add a new folder or shortcut and link it to the one you want. Then when you right click it will appear in the menu that opens.

Hope this helps you with your problem.

Not sure how you would implement this into a network situation but it's a start.

This is an easy fix to do!
Simply EXPLORE c:/documents and settings/username. The find the folder SEND TO and open it. add a new folder or shortcut and link it to the one you want. Then when you right click it will appear in the menu that opens.

Hope this helps you with your problem.

Not sure how you would implement this into a network situation but it's a start.

how does this solve his original problem/question? All this does is add an a folder to the send to menu. It won't create a shortcut.
kcny said:
What I want to be able to do is modify the SendTo Menu, so it includes an option that will behave similar to the SendTo Desktop. I want to be able to right-click, go to SendTo, and have a shortcut, not the entire file or folder, go to the QuickLaunch bar.

Be nice fitz.

brocher:

Basically KC wanted to create a shorcut to the item, the way you described actually copies the item to the quick launch folder.

Yeah, Brocher's suggestion won't really cut the mustard. I didn't want to copy the file or folder, just create a shortcut to that file/folder.

Thanks though brocher :)

inspired fitz ... i script vbs for a living and didnt consider this as a possible solution to the issue good work well done.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back