See what you think of my system...

Discussion in 'Benchmarks & Performance' started by got2xlr8, Aug 4, 2007.

Do you like it?

Poll closed Sep 3, 2007.
  1. Yes!!

2 vote(s)
  2. No!!

1 vote(s)
  1. got2xlr8

got2xlr8 Got2xlr8

Hey, Here are the specs on a pc that i am planning to put together here in a lil bit. Let me know what you think and what you think would be better.

APEVIA X-CRUISER-BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case Retail $69.99

ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail $139.99

APEVIA ATX-CW500WP4 ATX 500W Power Supply - Retail $39.99

AMD Athlon 64 FX-62 Windsor 2.8GHz Socket AM2 Dual Core Processor Model ADAFX62CSBOX - Retail $199.99

OCZ Gold 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2G8002GK - Retail $64.99

Open Box: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 4 SB0610 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card - OEM $63.99

LG Black E-IDE/ATAPI DVD-ROM Multi Read Drive Model GDR-8164BK - OEM $17.99

LG 18X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black IDE Model GSA-H42LK BK - OEM $32.99

SAMSUNG SpinPoint T Series HD403LJ 400GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM $84.99

There is also going to be a 512 mb ATI Graphics card, but i have not chosen which one I want yet. Any suggestions there?

2. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Between Austin and Tampa
    Switch from the AM2 setup to a core2 duo or quad processor (and likewise, change the motherboard as needed) and you should be fine.

Also, I am not sure of the quality of the power supply unit since I am not familiar with it.
  3. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

Red Sox Nation
    Get and AMD X2 3600 overclock and save yourself $140.
  4. Admiral Michael

Admiral Michael Michaelsoft Systems CEO Folding Team

After building a AMD X2 desktop and then buying a Core 2 Duo laptop I have to say the Core 2 Duo seems quite superior to AMD. I only wish I knew of this before I built my system as I would've went the Intel route.
  5. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Fort Worth, TX
    Ditto, if you are going to spend that much on a cpu/mb go core 3 Duo.

AMD is ok if you want to get by with $100 for the cpu and $70 for the MB.

On the graphics card get an Nvidia board if you are into gaming, if you want multimedia then go with ATI. There is a reason nvidia took over a major portion of the video card market this year.

PS get a real PSU. Any 500W PSU selling for $39.99 is not worth the CO2 it will take to extinguish it.
  6. Arniestan1

Arniestan1 OSNN Addict

Sounds good to me; speaking of sounds for now I wouldn't buy a sound card as you'll probly won't need one.
  7. got2xlr8

got2xlr8 Got2xlr8

Sweet, I am more into the whole video editing thing and gaming is not my forte. But it sounds like the core 2 duo is superior. I will look into that. And with my video editing i am importing and recording plenty of music and sound so i thought the sound card would enable me to expand my horizon in that area.