Secure Delete by Defragment

W

WiredBrain

I know that deleted files can be retrieved using software but I heard that by defragmenting our drive, they cannot be restored. Is this true?

sometimes they could sometimes they couldn't

no, your files are not neccessarily secure by virtue of defrag

WiredBrain as dealer says a defrag will not provide a way of securely deleting files.

Even commercial wiping software is not 100% guareteed to remove the data as MIT tests have showen it can still be recovered even after heavy software wiping and even degaussing.

The NSA did a test, they wiped at DoD standard multiple times, then sat a magnet on it for a couple of days, degaussed it, took it apart and smashed it with a hammer, they were still able to recover 80% of the original data!

However with wiping up to Guttmann 32 pass standards its very hard to recover any data without the use of a very expencive and time consuming process by which they read the data of the platters with special equiptment, i think they do analysis of the indentations left on the platter or something.

If you want to take advantage of secure wipe software i suggest you check out this page:

http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~ehowes/soft10.htm

My personel recommedation would be BCWipe.

You may find this guys method interesting:

http://w1.270.telia.com/~u27007970/ghetto.htm

Anyway, simply no defrag does not remove deleted data! And as you can see commerical software is not the end of the story :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back