"search" needs to connect to the web?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by HellyHans, Dec 12, 2002.

1. HellyHans

HellyHans OSNN Addict

Ok, well If I'am not connected to the internet.. I can't search for files on my computer.. I have to connect... and then my ZoneAlarm tells me that explorer want's to access the internet.. I have to let it so I can search... WTF?

2. NuclearSmegma

NuclearSmegma This Space for Rent

I feel your pain. I have the same problem. I posed the same question and received several answers...however none worked. I'll see if I can find the suggestions made to me. I still have the prob.

3. NuclearSmegma

NuclearSmegma This Space for Rent

The other post was about the Search Companion not being found. That's not the prob.

Anyone out there with a tweak to let me search my machine without being connected?.....HELP!!!!

4. Elroy Jetson

Elroy Jetson Little Dipper School

Not a tweak, but another program. Try using Total Commander (formerly Windows Commander). It is a small, fast program modelled after the famous Norton Commander (ahh, old DOS times). Works great, and is shareware (but no time limit or funcitonallity limit). Use ATL F7 for a search.

Apart from that, it is a much better file management program, it can pack and unpack, ftp, syncronize, etc.....

Good luck!

Cheers, EJ :cool: