Search function not working

Discussion in 'Site Problems & Feedback' started by ray_gillespie, Jun 29, 2006.

1. ray_gillespie

ray_gillespie Moderator Staff Member Political User

Can anyone get the forum search to work? Whatever I search for comes up with "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms. " :cry:

I've tried loads of terms that should obviously find stuff, but nothing works.

EDIT: Actually, it seems to be working when I search for longer phrases. I was searching for a wma tag editor, so I searched for wma and nothing came up - is this because there are too many results? When I search for wma tag editor, a whole load of things come up, but most are not related.

2. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

I get the same message. I think I used it earlier today with no trouble. :ermm:

3. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

Works fine for me.

I had the same problem awhile ago though. For some reason you have to have more than 5 characters in the search box. Anything less than that returns that message, as is a function built into vBulletin.

For example, if you search for "Internet Explorer" you will get results. However searching for something like "IE", gets the message returned.

What were you trying to search for specifically?

4. muzikool

I searched for "Really Long" the first time with no results. Just now tried it again and it works. ????

5. kcnychief

6. muzikool

Yeah, but in this case my search contained enough characters and still returned no results. I think the search actually was broken for a few minutes there. Probably just got tired and needed to go pee.

7. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

Because it isn't titled "Really Long" anymore, it is "Really Looong".

8. muzikool

:p Really Long still returns a ton of stuff. I didn't use quotes.

9. ray_gillespie

ray_gillespie Moderator Staff Member Political User

I tried "wma" but that still doesn't bring anything up. If it fails because there are too few characters, perhaps it should tell the user to try using a word with more. I wasn't sure what was going on!

On site related issues, I love the new buttons on the front page for comments etc :)

10. kcnychief

If you look in the thread I referenced above, I had the same exact idea about a different message being displayed :)

11. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Although the vb option for full index searching is 3, the mysql server may have other ideas, this is an X-istence problem :)