Sdram Pc133 Vs Ddr 2700

DrMetallica

OSNN Senior Addict
I just installed a ramdisk for the temp internet files...

I was reading an article the other day explaining whats the difference from storing the temporary internet files on the hard drive compared to RAM.

It takes a 7200 rpm hard drive 8 miliseconds to retrieve the data you requested.

But on an outdated PC133 SDRAM 8 nanoseconds to retrieve data you requested.

There are 1000 nano seconds in 1 millisecond. And 1 million milliseconds in 1 second. (maybe not)

So WTF is the point of DDR ram and exactly how much faster is it than ancient SDRAM. And is that difference noticable?

anyone think in the future hard drives will be replaced by RAM?

(if the data wasn't lost at reboot)

Well SDRam sends one bit of data per clock cycle and DDR sends two bits of data per clock cycle or at least I think that is correct

pc133 sdr = 1gb/sec of bandwidth
pc2100 ddr = 2.1gb/sec
pc2700 ddr = 2.7gb/sec
pc1066 rambus = 4.2gb/sec

and yes, i like to think that at some point in the future, harddrives will use a flash memory of some kind instead of physical discs like they do now. the advantage would be no moving parts... so no noise, virtually infinite lifespan, and much much faster speed.

It really doesnt take 8 nano seconds for the memory to retrieve the data you requested, thats how long it takes to acess the data. Same goes for the hard drive.
To actually transfer the data it takes how long taurus said above. And a hard drive is around 133mb/s for an ATA133 drive. The bandwidth is the important thing although access times can help. The difference between physical disks and ram is big although serialATA will try and close this gap a little bit.

One of my home systems is a 1800+ and a GeForce 4 mx440 and it used to have 256mb PC133 and I switched to 256mb pc2700 DDR and honestly I haven't noticed any difference. Of course some of the benchmarks are higher but in real world performance I haven't been able to say that it was worth the upgrade.

UT2003 doesn't seem any different ....maybe 4-5 fps higher but that's it.

that's exactly the reason i haven't ran out and bought a ddr motherboard. i wouldn't expect to see more than a 5-10% increase in speed, if that.

and for the record, the fastest ide harddrives transfer at about 60-70mb/sec. scsi drives maybe 100mb/sec at the most.

ay m8 the reason i havnt up'ed me motherboard and nicked some DDR ram is da fact dat im broke and use all quid for gas

and cost

Look at the price diff ....... mmmmmmmmmm no thanks I can get a 256mb / pc 133 for about 65$ give or take a dollar depends on the week and the ddr is 2 x the price and no way it gives 2 X performance .... so no thanks I will stick with my pc133 "thank you very much " as Lada would say with funny little voice :D

Posted by taurus
and for the record, the fastest ide harddrives transfer at about 60-70mb/sec. scsi drives maybe 100mb/sec at the most.

I stand corrected. ATA133 means 133mb/s is the theoretical transfer speed but it is never achieved in practice. Thanks for clearing that up taurus. :cool:

Re: and cost

Posted by Kermit
Look at the price diff ....... mmmmmmmmmm no thanks I can get a 256mb / pc 133 for about 65$ give or take a dollar depends on the week and the ddr is 2 x the price and no way it gives 2 X performance .... so no thanks I will stick with my pc133 "thank you very much " as Lada would say with funny little voice :D

you are getting jipped my friend...

I bought both of my 512 clips of ram for around 130 bucks... since you are getting a 256mb clip pc133 sdram for 65 bucks I am better off I guess?

DDR is better since it can handle more data transfer... you will not seem to notice the difference in day to day work but trust me it is there...

there is nothing wrong with sdram realy... and concerning SEEING a difference... I use my pc as an example... I have had id clocked all the way from 1200mhz to 1750mhz and there has not been any discernible difference in performance...

trust me though.. ddr is better...

i just baught 512 megs of pc133 for 32 bucks on sale and baught another 2 sticks of mushkin baisic pc 133 256 megs sticks for 48 bucks for both.. where you guys gettin your memory at.. also i baught 2 256meg sticks of elixir ddr for 110 bucks. You guys are getting seriously ripped off. I have 2 systems running right now. One with 512 of ddr 2100 and one with 512 of pc133 both with the same processor (i change my processor over when compairing) With the same hard drive (change that over to) and I notice a considerable difference between the two. The ddr setup blows the pc133 setup compleatly out of the water when it comes to performance. So i dont know how you guys cant see a difference... ya gotta be doing something wrong.

Posted by Ace123
i just baught 512 megs of pc133 for 32 bucks on sale and baught another 2 sticks of mushkin baisic pc 133 256 megs sticks for 48 bucks for both.. where you guys gettin your memory at.. also i baught 2 256meg sticks of elixir ddr for 110 bucks. You guys are getting seriously ripped off. I have 2 systems running right now. One with 512 of ddr 2100 and one with 512 of pc133 both with the same processor (i change my processor over when compairing) With the same hard drive (change that over to) and I notice a considerable difference between the two. The ddr setup blows the pc133 setup compleatly out of the water when it comes to performance. So i dont know how you guys cant see a difference... ya gotta be doing something wrong.

i concur... either exchange rates for another country or expensive ripoff... I am buying name brnad 2700 ddr

Ha ha, sazar - always against overclocking. Overclocking increases performance because you have more clock cycles. If you dont need the extra clock cycles why dont you have a 1.2ghz chip sazar? I'll take that xp1900 off your hands if you want :p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back