screen freezes on startup.

These are in your list.

Windows messenger:
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

MSN Messenger:
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe

i cant see windows messenger in my tray but in the proccess' tab there were to things that said 'messenger' so i have terminated them both.

Back in the msconfig startup tab, do you need to enable the things u use?
Microsoft will automatically enable the things it needs to run...

ok guys i may have something. ok, i was looking on system restore at the checkpoint and the stuff i had installed and uninstalled, and since about mid febuary(when i started experiencing my problem) there has been this thing called Software Distribution 2.0. It has appeared many times. what is this and could this be causing my trouble?

Hmm...
Im not sure, possibly could have an impact, ask the more experienced people...
Sorry,
Jack

GO through and uninstall any application that you did not install yourself (from the time of the problems beggining), then reboot. Ensure it didnt come back, and re-run hijackthis again...

First make sure its not a windows application that was installed as it might hurt ur computer...

I can't speak much for MSNM and Windows Messenger, as I have never run into a problem with both of those running.

But I can agree, that you should NOT have AVG and McAfee running. That's like putting two starving sumo wrestlers in a room, and covering the other person with bacon. They will give you false positives and attack eachother. Long story short, pick one, un-install the other.

After the system stalls and you have to reboot, I would check in the Event Viewer. I know I preach this a lot, but so many people don't realize the beauty of this tool. Sometimes, if the machine really crashes, it doesn't write to it, but it's a good place to start.

If the freeze has happened yet again, repeat what you did before. Disable everything and then go one-by-one. It sucks to do, I know, but maybe you have missed something. If you know for sure it doesn't happen after doing that, then it just means something is running that is causing problems. It may be tedious, and take time, but that's the catch 22 to fixing an issue sometimes.

Of course, if you don't want to deal with it, backup, format, re-install, and move on :cool:

Vanquished said:
Back in the msconfig startup tab, do you need to enable the things u use?
Microsoft will automatically enable the things it needs to run...

In the MSCONFIG "Startup" tab, NOTHING in there is needed by Microsoft to run. You don't have to check/enable anything, only devices which you would like to be running. Anything Microsoft needs to run would be listed under the "Services" tab, one to the left. If you go in there, as I mentioned above, you should check the box to "hide all Microsoft Services", this way whatever else you turn off won't prevent your box from booting.

kcnychief said:
...That's like putting two starving sumo wrestlers in a room, and covering the other person with bacon. They will give you false positives and attack eachother.

Of course, if you don't want to deal with it, backup, format, re-install, and move on :cool:

First ---> OMFG, LOL, almost spit out my water... and had alot of it coming up my nose... REPS for this...

HEHE

Second, what HE SAID... BACKUPS, FORMAT, REINSTALL FTW!!!!

ok guys. it happened 4 times this morning. i couldt even get anywhere before it happened. i will try again at home. at school at the moment. thanks for all your support by the way. whats the event viewer. thanks.

Start >> Run type:

eventvwr.msc

press enter and have a poke around ;)

bobsalot™ said:
when i first turn my computer on, and log on, after about a minute the screen freezes and i can do nothing but turn off my comp. when i turn it on again everything is fine. what is the problem. thanx.
I had the exact issue

for me it was a badly seated hardrice

ok iv got lucky and the computer hasnt frozen this time. im not going to turn off or reset until its fixed. im just scared i wont be able to get online again.

perris said:
hehe

can only get it if you are over 21

pull out the hardrive and reseat it

how do i reseat it. does that mean change its position?

sorry for 3 posts in a row but i thought i would add that when the computer freezes, the computer makes a beeping sound like you hear when you hold down 3 or more buttons. just thought id tell ya.

hi guys sorry for another post but is there a program i could run that would detect any conficts or malfunctions that may be causing the problem. im going to leave the pc on all night. it wont make it too hot and turn off will it?

Go away vanquished if ur not going to help. stop raising your post count by posting needless rubbish. i have apologised for my 4 posts and have posted them as i have thought of new things so the guys have more info on my problem and it can be sorted quicker.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back