Satelite Broadband

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Mr Dead, Sep 22, 2002.

1. Mr Dead

Mr Dead Guest

Sorry this is the second time I posted this but I didnt get much help last time!!

Im moving to an area with no cable/dsl option, dont think I can handle a dial-up so satelite seems the only option!!!

Anyone have one of these connections, worth the money? what sort of download speeds do you get on average?

Ive had a look at www.satdrive.com, seems well priced at £15 a month for up to 4mb/s download speed but costs nearly £400 for the equipment!!!!!!!!! and its only a 1 way connection so I suppose you still need the dial-up for uploading..

Any help at all would be appreciated.

p.s. I checked the ADSL availablity search and it says only 42 people have registered interest and at least 400 are needed before the exxhange is upgraded!!!

2. MiseryQv2.1

MiseryQv2.1 Guest

I thought we did help,,, My bad...

Satellite is unreliable,,, see other thread for my experience,,, but if it's your ONLY option then you have to use it... And then it IS worth it...

3. Iceman

Iceman Moderator

if it is your only option like MiseryQv2.1 said, then go with it, your upload will still be dial up I believe, but downloads should be fast, weather plays a big roll in the scheme if it's raining or snowing you might loss the connection, so no Internet for you.

hope this answers the question and you ain't forced to open a new thread, I would hate that, j/k

:cool:

4. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

If this is BT I thought it was 50, but if you are not scheduled for teh update it won't arrive any time soon either...
    In my area there is even less interest :(

5. Mr Dead

Mr Dead Guest

Thanks 4 the help everyone, wont open another thread honestly!!!

6. Kevin Ar18

Kevin Ar18 OSNN Senior Addict

What is the website for that?

7. Mr Dead

Mr Dead Guest

8. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

[​IMG]

I am right on the damn line!

9. Demonsaint

Demonsaint Guest

Satellite isn't that bad. On good days it will almost feel like DSL. Heavy weather days will result in rainfade effects( no signal ). I use direcPc and my Average download speed is 30k-80k. When God is smiling I'll hit 150-190k. Is it better than dial-up. Yes. Can it hold you over until something better comes along. Yes. Will you still want to go faster. yes.

10. shoulin

shoulin OSNN Addict

find a buddy that lives within a few miles that has broadband and set up urself a pringles can wireless hack

heheh