SATA vs IDE DVD burners

BouncingSoul

Stranger Than Fiction
Political Access
I bought a Samsung SATA DVD drive to go with my new system. It didn't work, would only read certain media, no burned cd's but all burned DVD's. It was very weird. Anyways, I sent it back to Newegg and was looking for something else. But I go to thinking, I've already got a nice IDE DVD burner. Is SATA worth it? Both are cheap, I would assume SATA is slightly faster but I don't know. So that's the issue; Should I stick with my working IDE or get the SATA drive?

The speed of an optical drive is determined by the media, not by ide or sata interfaces.

For optical drives the only advantage is cable clutter and not tying up limited ide ports you may have in a new system.

As bluray and HD mature there may be an advantage going sata, but not for DVD and CDs.

Stick with IDE unless you have an overwhelming reason to move to SATA, the drive mechanics are the same with a different interface and there enough problems with SATA burners for me to stay away for a while.

Though be careful that a lot of motherboard manufacturers are moving away from IDE completely now - I know you can use an adapter etc but it's extra hassle that you wouldn't get with a SATA.

I still agree with the others, but thought you should know.

Though be careful that a lot of motherboard manufacturers are moving away from IDE completely now - I know you can use an adapter etc but it's extra hassle that you wouldn't get with a SATA.

I still agree with the others, but thought you should know.

I'm pretty sure every board will have at least 1 IDE socket for the coming yrs till BD/HD-DVD matures in the market. But I agree that one should beware of it being removed totally.

I"m using a samsung SATA burner(ignore sig) without problems, I will not go back to IDE for anything just because my motherboard supports SATA natively out of the box. My main reason wasn't for speed or anything but for cable clutter, I have no ide cables running through my drive and makes things a lot tidier.

Might be more a motherboard issue or bad samsung drive than anything. If you have a perfectly good ide dvd burner don't upgrade now. But if you need to get a new one get sata, they are about the same you may be able to go ide cable free!!!

I got through burners about once every six months. (I burn a lot) and my drives break. I've had an NEC, Benq, samsung. All worked great and no coasters ever. Firmware updates are the best thing to do with a non functioning dvd burner before you rma or buy a new one.

Sata burners are really just a regular ide burner with a sata bridge, not sure if they've gotten to native sata yet.

I bought the Plextor 716SA a long time ago, when it was $130. SATA and 16x looked and sounded really nice. It was nice not to have the IDE cable inside the case which made the system look cleaner, but overall, it didn't perform any better than the BenQ DW1620 that I ran on an IDE cable. In fact, I think the BenQ was better overall due to a wider range of compatibility with media, and it just seemed faster too.

there is no performance benefit to going Sata, the only benefit is going to a better performing drive whether it's sata or ide.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back