SATA speeds

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by zeke_mo, Jan 3, 2005.

1. zeke_mo

zeke_mo (value not set) Staff Member Political User Folding Team

I just got a 36GB 10K raptor and I ran HDtach from Here
    and the drive only gets around 50MB/s which isnt much faster than an IDE drive....Is this all that i can expect? Any ideas?

2. Maveric169

Maveric169 The Voices Talk to Me

on your system maybe, what are your system specs?

3. zeke_mo

Athlon 64 3500+
    Asus A8V
    Using Promise controller for the 36GB(1+/o)raptor and VIA for my 74GB raptor(which gets about 65MB/s)
    BFG 6800 GT
    1GB XMS ram
    60GB maxtor(gets 45MB/s)

I cant think of anything that would be causing that. Before I had the 36GB drive I had my 74GB for games and such and it got 75MB/s now after formating it went down 10MB/s. And I cant think of whats wrong, maybe i setup the wrong array?

4. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

If the adapters are connected to the PCI bus, you are going to be limited by the bus.

5. zeke_mo

The controller is the Promise fasttrack and its built onto the mobo. So will it still be limited?

6. Maveric169

Maveric169 The Voices Talk to Me

you might see if there is are any SATA driver updates for that controler, about the only thing I can think of.

7. RickyC

RickyC OSNN Addict

SATA drives aren't that much quicker than PATA drives as the drives are mechanically still slower than the interface there connected to. The speed comes when you stripe the drives as in RAID0, you effectivley double your read/write speeds (in theory!) :)

Your Raptor should be quicker than most normal drives as it's based on SCSI technology and spins at 10k but most benchmarks show it's only slightly quicker in certain areas.