Sata Hd Question

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by psx2000, Oct 9, 2003.

1. psx2000

psx2000 Guest

I currently own a SATA 40 gig raptor HD.

I wanted to know if i buy another drive how do i set the jumpers for master and slave?

Also i have 4 old hds lying around and was curious is there a way to convert a regular ATA hd so i can have it run out side the computer ?

Thank You for the help ,

I appreciate it.

2. Vector_One

Vector_One Guest

There are no master slave configurations with SATA drives. It's one drive per cable. So you'll need to have 2 Serial channels on the mobo to be able to use 2 Serial drives.

3. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

If you want to run a hdd outside the computer I suggest you put it inside a USB or Firewire case. They can be found at most computer shops (varying quality and price).

4. freightgod

freightgod Confused and Bewildered

Look up top at the Google ads...

5. psx2000

psx2000 Guest

Any ruff idea on cost or a link to online store that has one?

Im really curious as I have a bunch of Hds i wanted to convert to external for a little side project.

6. JJB6486

JJB6486 Retired Mod Political User

Well as a solution to the first problem, you can buy two and four channel SATA PCI Controllers for $80-$100 if you want to add more drives.

You can also buy chassis to hook up PATA drives via USB or FireWire at most online computer places. Or if you buy a SATA controller and have ports left over, you can get HighPoint RocketHead100 adapters that allow you to plug standard ATA drives into an SATA controller.

JJB

7. RogerPhillis

RogerPhillis Guest

Yes , speed wise probably Firewire is the best.

I run a 120Gb SATA drive with an outside 40Gb USB2 caddy hard drive that runs quite fast.
    Might try a firewire one but the downside is the cost.

8. psx2000

psx2000 Guest

9. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

side question:

1a) if using a parrallel drive with a s-ata adapter, is it hot swappable?
    1b) do all harddrives automatically park the head once power is abruptly cut?

10. Terrahertz

Terrahertz Extinction Agenda Political User Folding Team

11. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

12. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

psx2000,
    i'd go with firewire as it's more suited for storage and large file transfer purposes. it uses less cpu time and actually ends up being slightly faster than usb2.0 due to less overhead. but, like zedric said, the speed issue won't be very noticeable.