SATA drive question

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Android412, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Android412

Android412 OSNN Addict

I assume you can, but just double checking. If you have two HD's, can you run a SATA drive and a ATA drive at the same time?

Just checking,

Android412

2. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

As long as your mobo has IDE and SATA controller then sure. I think you would just have to set the boot order in the BIOS. :)

3. Mainframeguy

Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

Be careful about your BIOS as well as your mobo.... I have heard some bad things about situations where the only way to select SATA was by ABSENCE of an IDE :eek: - Of course this may not apply in your case (I was hearing this regarding Aopen boards)

4. emeritus

emeritus Beware the Monkeys!!!

Double check that you have the newest BIOS update for your system. Most issues I have read about, are taken care of by updating.

5. Android412

Android412 OSNN Addict

6. Abbadon2001

Abbadon2001 OSNN Addict

thats the kind of thing i had heard too - thats what happened to indy i think, he may have resolved the issue now tho.

Just have to try it out and see what happens, updated my bios the other day anyway so thats one good step already done. Just got to wire it all up and see if it all works i guess!

7. yea you can i have windows running on and 80GB SATA and i have all my other medias on 2 IDEs so yea you can have both

8. Mainframeguy

Just a gentle bump on this thread, because I just installed a 200GB SATA alongside my 160 and 80 GB IDE drives - now the kicker is I presently have XP installed on the IDE master, but think my primary bootable partition would be better to be on my SATA drive.... anyone know the best way to go about affecting this change?

I would prefer not to reformat - or, if I must, then to take an image of my existing partition and restore it over the top of the new one.... oh and I have PM and Driveimage.... any suggestions welcome!

9. Tweakfiend

Tweakfiend OSNN Senior Addict

If youre Hard drives for SATA and IDE are both same manufacturer it might be possible to copy from one to the other using h/drive software (maxblast for Maxtor) etc etc.
    Some boards such as Gigabyte will not coexist with SATA first boot at all.
    Best ones I have seen are ASRock for that purpose.

10. Mainframeguy

thanks tweak - I will try although in this case it is from Samsung Spinpoint to Seagate Sata....

I'll post how I get on (eventually)