SATA / ATA booting problems

Mubbers

Shoot!
Political Access
I set up my new PC with a single SATA drive, no problems. This drive is detected as a Tertiary Master Drive and is selectable in BIOS as a bootable drive.

However now I have my system up and running I'm wanting to recover data off my old ATA IDE drives and reformat them.

The problem is that when I plug these drives in they are detected as Primary Slaves and the machine tries to boot off them. I can't even deselect them from boot sequence as the SATA drive is not featured there anymore :(

I have tried the IDE jumpers at both Cable select and Slave with no change...

Any ideas?

Thanks

Mubbers

Never install 2 boot HD in the system at once Windows does not like it and can make the second drive unusable for future booting.

I boot from the WD utility disk to copy the old partitions from the old boot drive to non-boot partitions on my new HD. Then I can strip the info off as desired and ditch the rest. If you use maxtor or others they should have similar floppy boot disks.

No it's not a bootable drive. It's just the backup drive from my old PC. I used it in exactly the same way on my last build, except of course the primary bootable drive was also ATA, so no issues.

I've a Maxtor floppy somewhere so I'll check that option out, thanks :)

Check this thread out:

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/24629/

Sorted.

I managed to find a sub sub menu on the BIOS.

While there is the standard boot order which allows only three different devices (floppy, CDROM & one HDD) there is a sub menu under HDDs which allows you to re-order the HDDS in the boot sequence. The ATA drive put itself at the top of this list so I just had to swap them around ;)

Others without this option have had to disable all drives from the sequence, reboot, shutdown, reboot and the reselect the correct drive which then apparently features on the boot sequence list :confused:

theres gotta be an easier way...good thing you had that option Mubbers hehe

LeeJend said:
Never install 2 boot HD in the system at once Windows does not like it and can make the second drive unusable for future booting.

I boot from the WD utility disk to copy the old partitions from the old boot drive to non-boot partitions on my new HD. Then I can strip the info off as desired and ditch the rest. If you use maxtor or others they should have similar floppy boot disks.

you running windows 95, 2 of my disks are bootable, and they werk fine, what it comes down to, is what mubbers already discovered, on newer bios, you can tell it what exact HD to boot off of in the bios. boot problems like he described are 9/10 times bios related

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back