SATA and XP Pro SP1

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Punkychan, Jan 1, 2008.

1. Punkychan

Punkychan OSNN Addict

Hi Guys,
    Merry Xmas and Happy New Year.Been quite sometimes since I last did my posts.
    I am going to buy a new system just to support the present one in my office now.Its cheap, damn cheap but come with no OS.I intend to install XP Pro SP1 into it.The problem is ( for me ) this thing comes with a SATA drive.But no raid - just a single drive.
    After searchings and reading on the net plus this forums , it tends to put me off a bit when installing XP into SATA drive.Some said XP will ask for drivers , blah blah blah....
    I've installed XP into IDE numerous numbers of times - no problem at all.
    The mainboard is [SIZE=-1]SiS 761GX Chipset[/SIZE]
    Can I just install XP directly after checking on the bios that board will detect that sata drive or do I still need that driver even on a single NON raid drive.
    Can check the system here

Waiting for some good news.Thank you
  2. Dark Atheist

Dark Atheist Moderator Political User Folding Team

In The Void
    i would get XP with SP2, and you can load drivers before you install XP just press F6 when it tells you too and you will be propmpted for the sata/raid drivers, although i have never had to put sata drivers in before i have installed XP, XP seems to pick them up and installs just fine, and i have 3 SATA drives in this pc :)
  3. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

You could always try like Carpo said, and be sure to download SP2 when you finish building. Pretty sure MS doesn't push updates to SP1 machines anymore for XP.