Sandisk Cruzer Micro 4GB

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by dreamliner77, Oct 13, 2007.

1. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

Just picked up a new 4GB thumb drive... Sandisk Cruzer Micro 4GB. I uninstalled the the stupid U3 software. I cannot for the life of me format the drive as NTFS. XP Disk Management only gives me the option of FAT or FAT32. Partition Magic doesn't even see the drive. Any help?

2. falconguard

falconguard Carbon based lifeform Political User Folding Team

FAT32, you really don't have the option of doing anyhting else. At least with FAT32 you will be able to use it on everyting else.

3. dreamliner77

I'm amazed that you can't format it NTFS. I think it's going back to Best Buy anyway. It's slow as death. Took over 15 minutes to transfer 3.5 GB last night.

4. American Zombie

American Zombie Moderator Staff Member Political User

I think you can format in NTFS if you go to Device Manager and set the policy of the USB Stick device to Optimize for Performance. The default is to optimize for Quick Removal, which restricts you to the FAT filesystem.

Shamus MacNoob likes this.
  5. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

U3 sucks but the cruzer does it fairly well and for my work thumb it has to be U3 with encryption and AV so I'm using the Sandisk 2GB. Besides I can't beat the price, work paid for it...

I have an older memorex U3 that does not work on some of my computers and also spits up on my VISTA machine. No upgrade and no way to format and stirp it. Sandisk is much better.

If youo don't have to have U3 get one that does not have it at all. Removal never worked for me, it is in the ROM, not RAM.

Even my Patriot has some stiupid lockit built in that is not VISTA friendly. Whatever happened to the dyas of plain old memory? I'm thinking SD cards are the safer and smaller way to go.

6. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

It'll be nice to see the replacement to U3 being developed by Microsoft and SanDisk.

7. Kush

Kush High On Life!

i havent tried u3 but its suppose to be good, there is a freeware version of u3 that should work on every usb ( i tiried it and it works but it didnt auto lauch when i inserted it) www.portableapps.com

8. dreamliner77

That was one of the first things I tried and it didn't work. It's going back to Best Buy in the AM.