Samsung SC125L (52x CDROM) Problems

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by r3n3gad3, May 1, 2002.

1. r3n3gad3

r3n3gad3 Guest

Hey all,
    I just got a new CDROM Drive (Samsung SC125L - 52x CDROM). And... lol, u guesed it, it aint working properly :p

I have tried it on 2 PCs and i get exactly the same probs so i was wondering if anybody had any knowlege of misbehaving samsung cdroms :) heres the message i sent to the place i got it:

2. boxman

boxman Guest

Interesting I have the same drive with no problems at all. I have it setup on it's own IDE channel. You make sure that you have the Master/Slave relationship set up properly. Also if you are using 80 conductor cables, try 40 conductor cables. My $.02

3. dejav00

dejav00 Guest

You might try (if the option is available) to set it on Cable Select.

4. r3n3gad3

r3n3gad3 Guest

Hmm, well i'm pretty sure its not the cable because each of the machines i tryed it on have the two diffrent cables - if ya get me (40 and 80)... lol... i know what i'm talking about.

i'll try cable select and tell ya what happens :) thx guys

5. r3n3gad3

r3n3gad3 Guest

nope, no luck - tried eveything said here and more... hardware at fault here do ya think? because it isnt even spinning the disc up :S

things i tried so far:
    • using 40 conductor cables (instead of 80)
    • disconnecting all other drives on that interface (and making it master)
    • tried it on a p1 (windowsME) and an amd duron (windowsXP) using both points above
    • installing latest firmware from samsung site
    • tried using the CS option (jumper setting)
    • tried a variety of CD media (inluding cd-r and cd-rom)

from this would you reach the conclusion that it is hardware falilure (on the cdrom drive)? or is it just me....

6. boxman

boxman Guest

Appears to be! Sorry :eek:

7. Bytes Back

Bytes Back Ex Police Chief

8. dejav00

dejav00 Guest

Last thing, bad power maybe?

Try swithching power for the HDD and CD-ROM, see if that works, doesn't sound like that's the problem but....

9. r3n3gad3

r3n3gad3 Guest

nope, ur right, looks like a dud :( ... changing the power didnt work... oh well - thx anyway guys