[Samba] (again) - problem with users

Code:
server1# cd /usr/home
server1# ls -la
total 6
drwxr-xr-x   3 root   wheel  512 May 23 15:22 .
drwxr-xr-x  18 root   wheel  512 May 23 17:26 ..
drwxr-xr-x   2 glenn  glenn  512 May 23 15:22 glenn
server1#
So that's ok, I guess.

are you trying to connect to it through
\\Server1\glenn\
or
\\192.168.0.4\glenn\

Geffy said:
are you trying to connect to it through
\\Server1\glenn\
or
\\192.168.0.4\glenn\
I just clicked it in My Network Places under my workgroup. So I guess it's server1. But that shouldn't be an issue, since I can browse in server1, I can see the glenn_home dir, but when I click it, it gives all the problems I just stated.

Mine seems to have problems with the winbindd program so I cant use the \\squidge\geffy to access mine, I have to use the \\192.168.0.4\geffy to get at it
but there is a newer 3.0.4 version of samba out so I might try that and see if winbindd is fixed

Geffy said:
Mine seems to have problems with the winbindd program so I cant use the \\squidge\geffy to access mine, I have to use the \\192.168.0.4\geffy to get at it
but there is a newer 3.0.4 version of samba out so I might try that and see if winbindd is fixed
I have no idea what version of Samba I have installed :eek:, but I can check that when I come home for lunch in an hour. It doesn't matter if I have to reach it by IP, since I plan to put all this in a cmd script anyway.

Wee! The IP thing works! And I have version 2.2.9 installed btw.
Thanks Geffy!

Another query:
I have just transferred my entire music folder to the BSD machine, and it did that at an avarage of 1.5-2 MB/s, but that seems rather slow on my 100mbit line. Is there anyway to increase the speeds?

Glaanieboy said:
Another query:
I have just transferred my entire music folder to the BSD machine, and it did that at an avarage of 1.5-2 MB/s, but that seems rather slow on my 100mbit line. Is there anyway to increase the speeds?
i'd bet my left foot that DMA isn't enabled on your hard disk(s).

i'm not sure if the naming scheme is the same in linux and freebsd or not, but i'm sure you can transform this as needed:

hdparm /dev/hda

that should give you a few details including using_dma

to enable dma on a disk use:

hdparm -d1 /dev/hda

hdparm doesn't exist in BSD; I would check ifconfig and make sure the NIC is running at 100baseT

he would see a max of around 1280 kB/s on a 10 mbit connection....the 1.5-2 MB probably means it's 100baseT....

i had a similar problem with DMA, so my assumption that DMA is disabled still stands.

the equivalent to hdparm in FreeBSD is atacontrol. I used this command to enable UDMA100 (the maximum the drive and board support):
Code:
server1# atacontrol mode 0 udma5 udma5
Master = UDMA100
Slave  = ??? (<-- No slave is attached. CD-ROM and HD both use seperate IDE-channels)
Is this the correct command *looks at Geffy...*

j79zlr: The card is running at 100mbit FullDuplex

Well, I just moved another file (200 MB) and it took 3 minutes, again around 1.5 MB/s. So I guess atacontrol didn't help. Or could it be that Samba is slowing things up?

Glaanieboy said:
the equivalent to hdparm in FreeBSD is atacontrol. I used this command to enable UDMA100 (the maximum the drive and board support):
Code:
server1# atacontrol mode 0 udma5 udma5
Master = UDMA100
Slave  = ??? (<-- No slave is attached. CD-ROM and HD both use seperate IDE-channels)
Is this the correct command *looks at Geffy...*
you can do
atacontrol list
to see all your attached ATA and IDE devices and then use
atacontrol mode <channel> <primarymode secondarymode>
the channel is listed in the atacontrol list so if you have a range of controllers for example it helps you set things for the right devices

btw as you dont have a Slave device the man page recommends something like this
atacontrol mode <channel> udma100 XXX

Glaanieboy said:
Wee! The IP thing works! And I have version 2.2.9 installed btw.
Thanks Geffy!

I think the problem is then a master browser problem, try findsmb from a CLI and it would show the MB. Try adding the following to the smb.conf
Code:
   local master = yes
   os level = 33
   preferred master = yes

Also, adjusting this line to this might help performance:

Code:
   socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192

OK, the Master Browser trick did fix the \\server1\bla thing, thank you for that. But the slow(?) file transfer issues still aren't resolved. I have set my HD to UDMA100, CD-ROM to UDMA33 and I changed the socket options to you suggested settings, but there is no significant change in speed (only a 100 kb/s or so more on average). Any other suggestions

Not sure Glaanie, maybe try the samba-devel port which installs version 3.04 [as of today]. I use it on both linux and BSD, my transfers are normal speed. I believe the 3.x version has had some performance increases.

Have you made sure that the other PC's card is working at 100full?

j79zlr said:
Not sure Glaanie, maybe try the samba-devel port which installs version 3.04 [as of today]. I use it on both linux and BSD, my transfers are normal speed. I believe the 3.x version has had some performance increases.

Have you made sure that the other PC's card is working at 100full?
According to ifconfig, the card is running at 100mbit full duplex. I will try installing Samba-devel, but doesn't that have too many bugs, because it's a devel port?

I haven't had any problems with it and have been running it for some time. It is in the slackware -current branch which means stable to me.

Installed the samba-devel port and it seems to be faster. I now have a transfer rate of ~ 2.6 MB/s. Thanks j79zlr!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back