"Safely Remove Hardware" taskbar icon

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by djpapakas, Dec 18, 2002.

1. djpapakas

djpapakas Guest

I have an usb ISDN modem. When I connect it to my pc, the "safely remove hardware" icon is displayed in the taskbar. I don't want to have this icon, so I would like to ask you if there is a solution for this "problem".

Thank you in advance.

2. allan

allan Guest

None that I've heard of, no.

3. mikill

mikill _

as far as I know, the systray icon is there so u can remove it properly from the system. if it were to go away, you may not be able to remove all traces of it. I had a usb cable modem and that remove icon was always there, never went away unless I unplugged it from the usb port.

4. Dubbin1

Dubbin1 I Like Cheese

You could chose the option to always hide it.

5. Kevin Ar18

Kevin Ar18 OSNN Senior Addict

Can you connect it to ethernet instead?

6. seeya

seeya Guest

i'm also using a usb cable modem and i also get this. last time i use window ME doesn't have this.

7. Dubbin1

Dubbin1 I Like Cheese

So does that mean your using 3 usb cable modems :)

8. djpapakas

djpapakas Guest

Is there any registry solutions?

9. TechSupport

TechSupport Guest

open the "safely remove hardware" icon... there is a tickbox saying "show icon on taskbar" isnt there? Well... im positive there was one on Win2K... it would be a stupid thing for MS to have taken out of XP if its not there

10. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

I had a USB Radio thinger that resulted in me having the safely remove thinger as well. It is there for hardware that either drivers of XP believes are more likely to be in use often and would therefore want a better more sure method of unloading the drivers.

11. Rigsta

Rigsta OSNN Addict

I actually find it very useful for when I want to unplug my USB ZIP drive or pop out the PCMCIA NIC from my laptop (I still can't beleive it all actually works without a hitch @_@)

Anyway just ignore it, XP will hide the icon after it's been there for a while anyway.