Safely Remove Hardware item removal

I think they get installed with the chipset driver package, last time I installed the drivers (6.70) I deselected a couple of the items this could be why? I am not sure about how this will work out. I know that my drives usually show up in the remove hardware popup and I noticed that they were not when I saw this post.

So like I said I will do some snooping and see if I can figure out a way to reproduce my results.

Update:

Ok, when installing the mobo driver package I selected the SMBus and Ethernet Driver, I deselected the others this I believe this is why my drives did not show up. I am going to reboot right now after reinstalling the drivers with the Storage driver selected as well.

Update 2:

Ok, upon rebooting the drives still did not show up. On a note I selected not to install the IDE SW driver on the last update. I will try that this time and see if it makes a difference. rebooting again... :)

Update 3:

Ok, I think I have narrowed it down the IDE SW driver... dont install that. After the last reboot the drives showed up in the removal item. I am not even sure what the IDE SW driver does, but I think thats the culprit of the hard drives showing up as removable.

Last edited:
NetRyder will likely kill me for saying this or delete the post - but you COULD run Linux and then this does not occur... hardly a solution I know. This is one of those areas where the OS has not been designed to support your need, so I do not believe you should be able to do it.

That said - why not make feedback to M$ than maybe in Vista you could see the functioality you need appearing?

Mainframeguy said:
NetRyder will likely kill me for saying this or delete the post - but you COULD run Linux and then this does not occur... hardly a solution I know.
Heh, no. I'd just be highly amused if someone actually took your advise and switched to Linux because one icon in the corner of the screen was bothering him. God save him from the nightmares that will follow on the other side of the mountain. :laugh:

Why such the harsh outlook on linux net? Linux is a great learning experience and is a great OS once you learn the reins. I personally think everyone at some point in their geekhood should force themselves to learn a second or third OS.

If you choose the right distro and get involved in the community (forums), there are tons of people who can help you learn and help you troubleshoot if you run into issues. Linux is very customizable and very fixable (unlike windows). This is both a blessing and its downfall for beginners it allows for people to easily make mistakes that lead to system wide problems. But you can fix them! :) ok... end rant/

Aprox: if you read the descripition it gives of the IDE SW driver, it says that it installs different drivers for the IDE channels that gives better performance for nForce2/nForce3/nForce4 motherboards than the default drivers that come with Windows.

Read something? pfft... :)

Next time I install the drivers I will give it a read, But I am 95% certain thats what made the drives suddenly show up in the remove hardware dialog box. If you want a different solution however I suppose I can try to find something else.

Aprox said:
Why such the harsh outlook on linux net? Linux is a great learning experience and is a great OS once you learn the reins. I personally think everyone at some point in their geekhood should force themselves to learn a second or third OS.

If you choose the right distro and get involved in the community (forums), there are tons of people who can help you learn and help you troubleshoot if you run into issues. Linux is very customizable and very fixable (unlike windows). This is both a blessing and its downfall for beginners it allows for people to easily make mistakes that lead to system wide problems. But you can fix them! :) ok... end rant/
You got it all wrong, Aprox. :)

I have absolutely no problem with people who choose to use Linux, even as their primary OS. I have nothing against UNIX-based systems. Take a look at some of my old threads/posts in the Linux section here. Being a C.S. guy, I've used almost every major distro of Linux at some point in the past, and I currently admin FreeBSD and Debian servers for a student organization I'm involved with, which I personally chose to use instead of Windows, not because I was forced to do it.

With that said, I do have a problem with people who suggest drastic measures like switching to a completely different OS when someone asks for help with the smallest of issues. It's like asking someone to throw away their car and get a new one because of a scratch on the windshield. Ridiculous. Mainframeguy even admitted that switching to Linux because of an issue with an icon is hardly a solution. If it's not a solution to the problem that's being presented, why suggest it at all? When people go to Linux support boards asking for help with a problem (often much more severe than an icon in the corner of the screen), you don't see people telling them to switch to Windows, do you? If you want to encourage people to try Linux, one good way to do it is to start a new thread and talk about what a great learning experience it is, and how it can be fun to try new stuff. People will read your post, think for themselves, and decide whether they think its worth their time or not.

I don't know about you, but if I had a small problem and someone came in and asked me to switch products, he'd come across as an obnoxious zealot to me. I'd be turned away from the product completely, and I'd think twice before taking his suggestions anytime in the future.

Last edited:
I completely see where you are coming from in that last regard, and I was in no way recommending the move to linux over this small nuisance. It is fresh to see someone who is unbiased because they actually have experience in both worlds.

But alas I feel the urge to hijack this thread I must bring attention back to the issue. :)

Elemental Dragon: When you installed the chipset drivers did you install the SW IDE driver as well? I have read in various other places thats its not recommened to install it. I have gathered that it also only effects PATA hard-drives, so unless you are still using these there is no reason to install it.

Here is a performance comparison I found on the subject of NV driver vs. MS driver.

http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/benchmark-ms-ide-vs-nforce-ide-updated-vt56754.html

Also after I uninstalled the SW IDE driver my sata drives no longer showed up in the hardware removal item. Not really sure why an IDE driver would effect sata devices... but it seems to.

Last edited:
NetRyder said:
Heh, no. I'd just be highly amused if someone actually took your advise and switched to Linux because one icon in the corner of the screen was bothering him. God save him from the nightmares that will follow on the other side of the mountain. :laugh:

You think I gave advice? I actually was just saying how it works in Linux....

You think it is a mountain? I have lately been amazed how much less work it is for me with Ubuntu - I flattened my notebook and repartitioned in two Reiser and Ntfs for a dual booting one - it took me a good deal longer to get the drivers sortd for Xp than it did for Ubuntu. People seem touchy and seldom "get it" (maybe it's an English/American thing?) but usualy whenever I say anything like "you will not have that issue under Linux" I have my tongue pretty firmly in my cheek as regards any possible implied recommendations to migrate. Anyone that wanted to migrate or saw benefits to Linux is likely already running it and feels fairly fed up when thay have to switch back to XP.

You think me some sort of fanboy? Well I dunno - but I am sure trying not to be because that truly is not in my nature.... My usage of computers entirely predates any sort of personal computer (see my nick), and as for any OS - well PC-DOS (or any of it's variants) was barely thought of when I knew what an OS was. With that background it would be pretty hard for me to care whether it was XP or Linux or anything.

I hate being misunderstood and I wish I could offer some help on the systray issue - I think the one point in my post (which you have not mentioned) is that XP has NOT BEEN DESIGNED to do what is wanted - the nearest to the requirement would be to hide the thing permanently on the systray and I have also found the OS will often over-ride what you do there anyway.

End of rant - or whatever it is I am doing here... I sometimes wonder :p

I have this same problem:

2 SATA Hard Drives on an nForce 4 platform in RAID MIRROR
They show up in the safely remove hardware list.
If I remove one it breaks the RAID and the RAID has to be rebuilt.

Obviously in this case I would like to remove them from that list. Particularly as this is a shared computer and eventually someone is going to break that.

note: I do not have nFORCE SW IDE installed.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back