Safari Vulnerability Detected

Discussion in 'Macintosh' started by Mastershakes, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Mastershakes

Mastershakes Moderator

Link

Not a big deal, as hardly anybody uses macs.

Perhaps in 10 years or so we shall see if they start picking on it. I highly doubt they will gain more market share than they have already due to corporations in most part sticking with MS.

2. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

I can't believe that article was posted today -- the "vulnerability" has been known since shortly after OS X 10.4 was released, almost a year ago. I've never seen a report that this has been taken advantage of, either.

I hope that the market share doesn't get high enough to convince hackers that it's worth their time. I like my secure OS and want to keep it to stay that way.

3. Mastershakes

Mastershakes Moderator

Man, they are way behind then. Can you toss me a link from a year ago?

On the market share thing I'd have to agree. Some of my graphic design clients are very picky,
    so I outfit them with Macs and OSX and they shut up. ;)

EDIT - Does this mean they have waited a full year and still havn't patched it? TSK TSK? ? ?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2006
  4. muzikool

It's not the kind of vulnerability that needs a patch -- that's why I call it a "vulnerability." In response, Apple turned the option on, by default, to prompt the user to open (mount) the download instead of it happening automatically. This was actually in the form of disabling the "open safe files" option. Additionally, most anything that writes to the system level requires an administrator password, so that layer of security exists as well. There really isn't much of a risk.

I'll dig for the initial reports of this.

5. Mastershakes

Mastershakes Moderator

Cool. Good to hear it doesn't really expose it.

6. muzikool

I guess if Apple really wanted to it would remove the "open safe files" option from Safari altogether.

7. muzikool

Here's a thread from May 2005 that relates to this exact issue. In this case it concerns widgets, but the "vulnerability" is the same.

8. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Last edited: Feb 21, 2006
  9. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

It is ease of use to have stuff mounted automatically. We shall see how long it lasts before the option is A. removed, or B. worked around such that things like this can't happen.