Safari 3 (browser) Public Beta available now!

I just can't believe the amount of features Apple never thought about including into their "worlds best/fastest/blend-capable" browser. Features the other market leaders have been using for years.

I don't agree, Safari does not need any-more features. It does best that what it was made for, browsing the web. I have dedicated apps for certain things for a reason, I don't want it all in one place.

I am guessing that Mac users are not as demanding to bolt new stuff onto their browser since there are other more intuitive tools out there that do what yours has to do in FireFox since there is no other way to get it done. Maybe it is the entire different mindset between the two. Maybe Mac users have drunk too much Jobs KoolAid. But Safari does extremely well what it was meant to do. Browse the web.

To reply to my own post, EVEN FireFox on Mac OS X has lost it's side bars to fit into Mac OS X better and to please the Mac crowd. Opera as well.

SafariStand is an unofficial hack for Safari, it does it by using SIMBL (Smart InputManager Bundle Loader) hacks, which load code into the program as they are started by dropping them into a certain folder. (P.S. Geffy, this functionality is going to be missing from Leopard, for security reasons). This code is run on every program that gets started, so it has to be selective as to what process it attaches to.

I don't think we will see favourites pinning, or side bars. The side bars are missing in almost all applications in Mac OS X. (iTunes, the new Finder, Safari, Mail, iChat, iLife applications). I personally find it more pleasing. That way, then again, I have never had my eyes fall off the edge of my Safari browser window while reading :/ .

It is not something pinned by default in any browser, except Opera (iirc) but, unlike Safari, there is the OPTION to do so if you chose. Everyone has their own personal preference, why not let them decide?

As for the plugins to put clocks, weather and all that stuff down at the bottom in the status bars, I always find them very distracting, it is like the old school browser symbols in the top right corner that would let one know a page is loading, but sometimes pages would load forever cause of advertisements and each time it moved it would distract me from the rest of the page. At school they have those plugins enabled on some of the machines for testing purposes (weather, and email notification) and I find it a rather obtuse place to put them. All my weather information, gmail notification and all that stuff is on my google homepage, as well as clocks. For other stuff I have Dashboard, hit F12 and it comes forward, hit F12 again, and it is gone.

Again, options.

I have my sidebar, I could use konfabulator or other apps, but there is no reason NOT to have the option. I find the extensions to be a HUGE benefit and one of the reasons why FF is such a hit is precisely because of these add-ons.

As for the RSS icon, I think a button that says RSS makes more sense than the icon used by FireFox and IE. I have always thought of anything with waves coming out of it as a radio broadcast, or something along those lines, not a feed. RSS stands out.

Wow, this thread has had a lot of views. Insane!

Good :D

one thing that surprises me is the emotion this browser seems to invoke...from both points of view

what is it about browsers?...I remember I was quite defensive about ie while everyone was claiming firefox was better so I am part of this phenomenon

x-istance, there is no reason you are defensive about what windows users expect in a browser..you don't like a feature but you have to realize windows users count on the feature

this browser is trying to migrate over to windows and users...if they want windows users they have to give the users what they count on

sazar, you also are very aggressive in your dislike for this browser...I was surprised

it is a beta after all...it will fail or succeed depending on how usable windows users think it is...right now it will fail...unless they include the features we count on using

but it is interesting how adamant browser users are, I am amazed

I am aggressive about it for 2 reasons.

1, Apple's advertising of this product is grossly misleading and completely uncalled for, even by their abysmal standards.

2, I can't believe people DEFEND the lack of features as things they don't need.

We have had other beta's, for IE7 recently and FF2, and they were far more complete in their options than this.

I can live with a beta, I can understand that it will only improve but I am not a big fan of accepting b.s. as a reason for releasing b.s.

I've installed, used, and uninstalled this browser three times since it was released. It's not like I have not given it a chance, it just annoys the piss out of me.

If you thought Safari might really be the best browser ever and you downloaded it to see then Apple and its marketing did its job. Since when does marketing tell you the complete and total truth about anything? Since when are statistics not inflated or skewed in order to present the perfect picture that a marketing department wants presented? It cracks me up that anyone would get so aggressive about Apple's claims when those claims should be taken with a grain of salt to begin with. Please don't tell me that you expected the greatest browser ever when you installed it, just because Apple said it was so -- I don't think anyone here is that naive. ;)

No, but I did expect a browser that worked and offered what Windows users would consider basic options and features.

No, but I did expect a browser that worked and offered what Windows users would consider basic options and features.

It's the price you pay for no viruses and prettiness :p

It looks ugly. It does it's own font smoothing on top of clear type, which makes text look fat.

It draws it's own windows so the window can only be resized from the bottom right corner. It has no "save settings" button.

Need I go on?

It looks ugly. It does it's own font smoothing on top of clear type, which makes text look fat.

It draws it's own windows so the window can only be resized from the bottom right corner. It has no "save settings" button.

Need I go on?

Settings are saved as soon as you change any option. People are saying their settings are not getting changed, need to make sure Safari closes properly and does not crash, because settings are saved when the application closes.

As for the "save settings" button, GNOME does not have it either as they do the same thing, as soon as you change something it takes effect, and get\s saved when the program closes. The entire reason there is a "save settings" button in Windows is because it won't save the settings when you change something, which is just wrong, we are not expecting the user to click one or more buttons to save the change they just made rather than just having it be applied, something that makes more sense.

Settings are saved as soon as you change any option. People are saying their settings are not getting changed, need to make sure Safari closes properly and does not crash, because settings are saved when the application closes.

As for the "save settings" button, GNOME does not have it either as they do the same thing, as soon as you change something it takes effect, and get\s saved when the program closes. The entire reason there is a "save settings" button in Windows is because it won't save the settings when you change something, which is just wrong, we are not expecting the user to click one or more buttons to save the change they just made rather than just having it be applied, something that makes more sense.

Well, if you accidentally make a change, what is wrong with a confirmation?

That's the whole reason you have a save confirmation in so many applications. It can be done away with, yes, but the reasoning for it being there is sound.

Well, if you accidentally make a change, what is wrong with a confirmation?

That's the whole reason you have a save confirmation in so many applications. It can be done away with, yes, but the reasoning for it being there is sound.

As is the reasoning for it not being there. It was a change for when I moved to Mac OS X, since then I have started to like it way better. Means that if I make a change it is active immediately instead of having to click any more buttons.

As is the reasoning for it not being there. It was a change for when I moved to Mac OS X, since then I have started to like it way better. Means that if I make a change it is active immediately instead of having to click any more buttons.
I'm not sure how changing a setting takes any more clicks in Windows than it does in OS X. You still have to click something to close that settings panel after you make the change.

The only difference is that in OS X, the first click changes the setting in the UI and saves it, and the second click closes the settings panel, whereas in Windows, the first click changes the setting in the UI and the second click (on the OK button) saves the changes and closes the settings dialog.

I'm not sure how changing a setting takes any more clicks in Windows than it does in OS X. You still have to click something to close that settings panel after you make the change.

The only difference is that in OS X, the first click changes the setting in the UI and saves it, and the second click closes the settings panel, whereas in Windows, the first click changes the setting in the UI and the second click (on the OK button) saves the changes and closes the settings dialog.
a confirm is important, everyone makes real time changes that they don't want global...and if you don't want the confirm changes you just click the box that asks if it should ask again...best for everyone...choices to do it however you want to do it

a confirm is important, everyone makes real time changes that they don't want global...and if you don't want the confirm changes you just click the box that asks if it should ask again...best for everyone...choices to do it however you want to do it
I agree. But there's no silver bullet to the problem; getting it just right in every case is tricky.

There are times when instant feedback is helpful. For instance, when applying a filter to an image in Photoshop, you really want to be able to see the effect on the actual image as you're manipulating it, so designing the dialog box so that it doesn't apply the change until the user clicks the OK button is not the optimal solution.

In fact, there's one such example in Safari too - the font smoothing setting. Because changes to the setting are reflected immediately, I can change the smoothing type and see the effect on the currently loaded web page right away. That's a good thing.

But there's another important use case that Adobe addresses, while Apple fails to - being able to revert a set of changes easily. In the Photoshop example, I can simply click a "Cancel" button to discard all the changes and revert back. Safari, as far as I can tell, provides no such option, so I'd be forced to retrace my steps and revert every individual setting manually.

At the very least, the Safari settings dialog needs to have a "Reset" or "Cancel" button to revert to the last saved state.

Well, to be fair, it's not like Safari has that many options to bother the user.

:cool:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back