Ruth Did it on Hot Dogs and Beer

kcnychief said:
Um, check your facts buddy. This has not yet been PROVEN that he did use them yet. That's why he's being investigated for possible purgery charges. Right now it's all heresay.

Yah I guess Barry Bonds saying he may have used clear and the other thing un-knowingly is un-proven. I mean its only barry bonds who said it, we can't trust him.

:smoker:

Anything Barry says is hearsay :lick:

im with Brad on this one,
Regardless of what the truth his, he will always be looked down upon by many people, though not his fans aparently...

"Clean and clear" is the substance he is said to have used. He admits to using it but not knowing what it was until after the fact.

Vanquished said:
Is he stupid?
Probably was one of those "don't ask don't tell" situations. Then again, that is also why he's being investigated for possible purgery.

Oh well,
Personally i do think that this was turned into a much too big of a deal, either way.
He's lost my respect, then again my respect isn't worth much :)

Vanquished said:
im with Brad on this one,
Regardless of what the truth his, he will always be looked down upon by many people, though not his fans aparently...

He will always be looked down upon by haters.

Same thing with Kobe, same thing with other people in other sports.

Dominating, but flawed personalities are expected to excel but the slightest hint of anything and BLAM, the pirhanna's swarm in.

Barry's records speak for themselves. The armchair haters can say all they want, they won't be even close to a fraction of what he can do NOW, let alone in his prime.

If he took steroids, who gives a crap? It was not illegal back in the day and he has NEVER failed a drug test. Anyone who has played ball, gone to the batting cages or worked hard at whatever team sport they have participated in knows how bloody difficult it is.

Hate away but the people who have played against him know how good he was and is now. Watching the guy play and be effective on one leg and one arm shows to me how amazing he is. He has changed his game to compensate for his injuries, even Griffey has not been able to do that and Griffey is younger.

Sazar said:
If he took steroids, who gives a crap? It was not illegal back in the day and he has NEVER failed a drug test. Anyone who has played ball, gone to the batting cages or worked hard at whatever team sport they have participated in knows how bloody difficult it is.

That's a great point. Bonds has never failed a test, and even if it comes out that he did commit purgery and did take them, at the time he was allegedly doing so, it wasn't a violation of the rules. I don't really think it's fair to put an asterix next to his name in the record books, how is that justifiable? The people who take tests since the rules have been put into effect, are being punished and should be treated the way they are.

IMO, Bonds isn't cheating the game, the game is cheating him.

You know, I don't give a damn what any of you think because what you may think and what is truth are two different things. Words without truth is what destroys live ruins carrers and just makes people that start rumors and the ones that believe rumors at face value just as stupid as the ones that start the rumors. Bonds is linked to BALCO fine. Is there proof of him taking any illegal subtances? Now before you open your mouth and start quoting links and things. Is there truth to anything out there? Or is this all speculation and "well they said this and this other place said that". They said the world was flat, and everyone believed it. But there was no proof of it. People that are spiteful can't see beyond their own ignorance. Yer they will get on the bandwagon just to mouth off without even knowing if any of the allegations are true or not. It's funny how if you look at the majority of the heckelers in the stands of these stdiums that Bonds has been playing in they are younger fans. They have no true love of the game of baseball not like older fans and old timer fans have that have been fans all their lives. Most of the older true baseball fan is reserved about their opinion. And rightly so, they don't know what is true and what is made up. I challenge anyone that has posted in this thread that says he did to post proof. Now you can't. And you know why you can't? Because if there was any real proof the Justic Department and the Commissioners Office of Baseball would have been all over it already. So for any of you to blab is just dumb. And it shows how dumb you are for saying things that have no solid evidence to back it up.

And just so you understand why I feel the way I do and every other fan here in San Francisco, read this. It sums it up pretty well.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=murphy/060525

Here's the top six non-jiuced home run hitters:

Hank Aaron - 755
Babe Ruth - 714
Willie Mays - 660
Frank Robinson - 586
Harnon Killebrew - 573
Reggie Jackson - 563

When
Barry Bonds - 715
Sammy Sosa - 588
Mark McGuire - 583
Rafael Palmeiro - 569

go ahead of some of them, it demeans their achievements.

Now Barry Bonds is a great player. Should he be second or possible first all time before he retires, is that fair to Aaron or Ruth? Some guy on ESPN calculated that his non-juiced total was 666, which puts him third, just ahead of his godfather, Willie Mays.

Babe Ruth is long dead and this controversy doesn't bother him. If I'm Hank Aaron, do I wonder how many more HR's I would have hit?

Last comment: all these juiced guys are like O.J. Simpson. He was found innocent of killing his wife. Still, many people still don't respect him. That how I feel about the juiced guys.

Gonaads said:
You know, I don't give a damn what any of you think because what you may think and what is truth are two different things. Words without truth is what destroys live ruins carrers and just makes people that start rumors and the ones that believe rumors at face value just as stupid as the ones that start the rumors. Bonds is linked to BALCO fine. Is there proof of him taking any illegal subtances? Now before you open your mouth and start quoting links and things. Is there truth to anything out there? Or is this all speculation and "well they said this and this other place said that". They said the world was flat, and everyone believed it. But there was no proof of it. People that are spiteful can't see beyond their own ignorance. Yer they will get on the bandwagon just to mouth off without even knowing if any of the alligaytions are true or not. It's funny how if you look at the majority of the heckelers in the stands of these stdiums that Bonds has been playing in they are younger fans. Most of the older true baseball fan is reserved about their opinion. And rightly so, they don't know what is true and what is made up. I challenge anyone that has posted in this thread that says he did to post proof. Now you can't. And you know why you can't? Because if there was any real proof the Justic Department and the Commissioners Office of Baseball would have been all over it already. So for any of you to blab is just dumb. And it shows how dumb you are for saying things that have no solid evidence to back it up.

And just so you understand why I feel the way I do and every other fan here in San Francisco, read this.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...=murphy/060525

That is an extremely well written article, good post Gonaads.

Ditto gooooo. Good post. Well written.

Bonds’ 715 embarrasses baseball
By Jeff Schultz | Sunday, May 28, 2006, 06:54 PM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Barry Bonds was in Milwaukee recently and the commissioner of baseball wouldn’t make the 10-minute drive from his house to watch him. So it follows that Bud Selig wasn’t in when Bonds moved past Babe Ruth on the home run list.

Nor were any of Ruth’s children. Nor any high-level officials. Nor anybody whose presence screamed, “I’m important, so I’m here.”

Barry Bonds hit his 715th home run Sunday. But every overblown ESPN news break-in couldn’t drown out the sad reality of the moment. It was as awkward as it was historical. Some wanted to watch. Most wanted to cover their eyes.

This wasn’t a player punctuating greatness. This was the most vilified sports star we’ve ever seen affirming his place among the five darkest moments in baseball history.

Count them. Like plagues:

1. Eight members of the Chicago White Sox are banned for conspiring to throw the 1919 World Series.
2. Pete Rose, the game’s greatest hitter, agrees to a lifetime ban for betting — on baseball.
3. Baseball cancels the 1994 World Series, not because of natural disaster but rather mutant labor negotiators.
4. Congress holds steroid hearings. Among the Murderers Row giving testimony: Mark McGwire, Sammy Sosa, Rafael Palmeiro and Jose Canseco — who ironically turns out to be baseball’s shining light.
5. Bonds passes the great Ruth and closes in on the great Hank Aaron. But he’s the poster child of the steroid era, and his baggage and personality have led him to become the sport’s greatest pox instead of ambassador.

This is a sport that embraces its heroes and statistical achievements. Numbers are dipped in gold. 56. 61. .400. 714. 755.

Now here comes a man who puts up incredible numbers and few outside of San Francisco want to celebrate. Selig said weeks ago he wouldn’t show up for 715. Hold the pomp, shelve the circumstance. Selig would close his eyes and pretend it didn’t happen. There’s an old country-western tune that applies here: “If the phone don’t ring, you know it’s me.”

The NFL had a vested interest in helping reshape Ray Lewis’ image after his Atlanta murder trial. The NBA needed Kobe Bryant to be a smiling pitchman again after rape charges were dropped.

Baseball isn’t moving to resuscitate Bonds. His image couldn’t be saved by “House.” He is impossible to like. A fan catches a home run ball. Bonds refuses a request to sign the ball but asks the fan to sign a release so he could use his likeness on his TV show. This is the sport’s ambassador?

Frogs, locusts, diseased cattle.

Gambling, strikes, steroids.

It’s all relative.

Embarrassment: The “Black” Sox scandal is still debated 87 years later. It has kept “Shoeless” Joe Jackson out of the Hall of Fame. Rose was never accused of throwing a game. He just gutted its integrity by betting and lying about it. The all-time hits leader was thrown out and isn’t in the Hall.

Embarrassment: Fans have learned to hate two words: collective bargaining. But nothing in the long, inglorious history of labor woes equals the cancellation of the 1994 World Series. Owners and players couldn’t figure out how to divide millions.

Embarrassment: Steroids have tainted this entire era of players. Bonds just happens to be the leader in the pharmacy. For baseball to strip him or any player of their statistics is nonsensical. What of the steroid-using pitchers Bonds homered off of? Do two druggies cancel each other out? How to determine which homers were drug-aided and which weren’t? It’s a futile exercise. But we know what steroids have done to the record book. Not players. Steroids.

Bonds says he doesn’t care what people say or think. If that were true, he wouldn’t be trying to reshape his image on TV. ESPN was only too happy to sell itself out, giving Bonds a time slot and a blank script for a weekly 30-minute soliloquy called, “Bonds on Bonds.”

My wife and I watched the other night. There was tape of Philadelphia fans booing Bonds as he stepped to the plate.

“Why are they booing him?” my wife asked. “There’s steroids in hot dogs and Babe Ruth ate those.”

My wife. Funny girl.

Bonds juiced because he was jealous. Relying on interviews, documents and grand jury testimony in the book, “Game of Shadows,” authors alleged that Bonds decided to turn to muscle drugs after witnessing the attention paid to the McGwire-Sosa home run chase in 1998.

Follow the growth. Bonds averaged 31.8 home runs from 1986 to 1999. He averaged 51.6 from 2000 to 2004, including 73 in 2001. He hit one home run every 16 at-bats in his first 14 seasons. He hit one every eight at-bats in his next five.

I know. Good hot dogs.

History views Ruth as a home run hitter. Bonds will be viewed as something far less. A lab creation.

There goes No. 715. Cover your eyes now

Moved to Hard Talk

No source for that article? No quotes?

I don't really see how you can compare Bonds to ANY of those 5 events - they were all rule violations AT THE TIME they occured. As been said before, and I will say again, Bonds was not violating rules at the time he allegedly did anything.

So, because Baseball was stupid enough to not implement any rules regarding Steroids, until records start falling this earns them a free ride? I'm sorry but a cheat is a cheat, the whole lot of them, Mcgwire, Sosa, Palmeiro, Giambi, Caminiti, as far as I am concerned they should asterisk the whole era, matter of fact asterisk the whole damn sport, they've all been playing on (speed) greenies for years. What other jobs can you get where you speed up and go to work? huh? show me one?
Truck Drivers? Sure, last I checked they were still governed by the rules of society and punishable by it's laws.

Baseball has a lot of problems and it is more than Steroids, and until they become forward thinking enough to be more, it will always be past it's time.

Hard talk is for politics. This is not a political topic.

kcnychief said:
Moved to Hard Talk

No source for that article? No quotes?

I don't really see how you can compare Bonds to ANY of those 5 events - they were all rule violations AT THE TIME they occured. As been said before, and I will say again, Bonds was not violating rules at the time he allegedly did anything.

Source: http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/sh...lumns/entries/2006/05/28/bonds_715_embar.html

Just look at the stats at the end. No one can make that big of a jump without doing something to improve their abilities.

Yah, like compensating for not being able to run as well due to advancing age and being more patient at the plate.

Coz no one has EVER done that before :cool:

O.K. I'll put it in a way that you can understand. Let's say your family has an uncle that is a criminal. He has convictions of armed robbery and attempted murder. You when you were young always hung out with him, he took you to get ice cream and sometimes to the park. (Now this is all hypothetical mind you) Now you're older and he's out and about, he visits you and you both go out to eat dinner. He robs the place. You must be in on the robbery. Everyone saw you with him. He's a criminal, you have to be one to. You are as guilty as he is. We don't give a damn what you say. Oh, we don't have proof that you did anything, so what everyone says that you are a criminal and are guilty. So too bad.

So now your reputation is ruined and you've been fired from your job. All the people you know don't trust you any more. Hmmmmmm. What a shame, but we don't care because you were with him and he's a criminal and robbed that place and you were there and know him. So you have to be one to.

But as I said before, this is all hypothetical. And as I said in my first post, Show me proof or shut up with all the well his stats are this and he is better now and he shouldn't be and well everyone says this and that. He is better now because he has years and years of experience in his mind. He is patient at the plate because he knows what to look for. He can hold off a pitch that players with less experience would swing at and strike out. All we need from you now is for you to say that Albert Pujols is juiced and his possibility of breaking the single season home run record is a bunch of crap. Hey, maybe he's cheating. Well, hell a white guy had the reacord for soooo long then a juiced white guy broke it with a latin guy hot on his trail. Now a black guy broke the white guy's record. Oooooo, poor white guy's huh. Oooh, now a latin guy could break it. A Latino? Ooooh Noooo. What are all the white guys to do? So much shiit talk and so little substance. Again I say show proof or shut up.

Ooooh that's right, you can't show any proof. So you yell louder and louder so as to drown out everyone else except your own anger and hatred. Poof, you don't need any stinkin proof. You have a loud voice and if others hear you and yell as loud as you then everyone will believe it to be true. Even if it isn't. But you don't care about truth otherwise you wouldn't say what you say. If they find proof I will be first in line to condemn him. But until that day comes I admire him for his accomplishments. And I respect him.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back