Russian to English translation

There's a language barrier and if the Russian is in fact, in Russia - suck it up and forget about it. It's just some code you wrote, there are more important things in life. He doesn't care about the legality of it and whatever your official sounding American letter says. And what he told you reflects that very well; he didn't waste more then two words on you.

Legal action is going to be very ineffective as the way the system works there is very different then how it is here. I assure you he gives a f*** all about DMCA or whatever it is. At the ultimate absolute best, if you do something amazing and somehow manage to get someone a'knocking on his door, he'll slip them a twenty...and then he hasn't lived at that residency for years.

There's a language barrier and if the Russian is in fact, in Russia - suck it up and forget about it. It's just some code you wrote, there are more important things in life. He doesn't care about the legality of it and whatever your official sounding American letter says. And what he told you reflects that very well; he didn't waste more then two words on you.

Legal action is going to be very ineffective as the way the system works there is very different then how it is here. I assure you he gives a f*** all about DMCA or whatever it is. At the ultimate absolute best, if you do something amazing and somehow manage to get someone a'knocking on his door, he'll slip them a twenty...and then he hasn't lived at that residency for years.

I totally agree, and like I have said multiple times now, no code was copied (which would be legal anyway since it is all under the BSD license, unless they ripped off my copyright notice)

All they used is the exact same name for a project which is going to be doing the exact same thing a project that I started back in 2003 will be doing.

As per the DMCA, I know the Russians won't give a ****. However SourceForge will. They themselves suggested the DMCA. See, the DMCA for trademark infringement and copyright infringement can be used against anyone hosting content under a false name/or that is copyrighted and thus being distributed illegally.

When I send a DMCA notice to a host in the UK they can be "Haha, **** you we don't do DMCA", and not care. So in a case like that the DMCA has no power.

When I send a DMCA notice to a host in the US they are like "Oh ****, okay, we shall contact the customer, they get 5 days to reply, and we remove the content until we get such a reply". Here the DMCA has power.

If in both cases it was a Russian that had uploaded the file to both hosts, sure he could not be detained, could not be tracked, and could not be caught, but the DMCA still works. It means the file has to be removed, and is gone until it is re-uploaded, as per the DMCA it is the content providers (host) problem since it is on their servers, and thus in their legal district.

This is the exact same reason that if I send a DMCA to SourceForge that they would make sure access was removed to the infringing material. It does not matter where the parties are located at either end. I could be in Russia while sending the DMCA letter. All that matters is that the trademark/copyrighted information is being provided from servers in the United States which means they fall under the DMCA.

Please people, if I were to send a DMCA notice it would be to SourceForge, who is then responsible for making sure the infringing material is removed. In this case the third party (the creators of the project) would have 5 days to respond, and if they can't prove that they have a legal right to use the name, then SourceForge has to make sure that access to the material stays denied. Then the Russians could start a new project, give it a different name, and then SourceForge would not have a problem, and neither would I since it was not using my trademarked name.

Now, since I still do not have the trademark, I am powerless, and in this case can not send a DMCA since none of my source code was ripped off by removing the copyright from my source code.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back