Running multiple Antivirus programs simultaneously

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by leedogg, Oct 25, 2002.

1. leedogg

leedogg Gojyone kawaiiiiiiii!

I'm running AVG antivirus and Norton Anti. Is this bad? Why would it be bad to have 2 virus checkers at the same time?
  2. PC-Dude

PC-Dude Guest

Other than slowing down your system I can't see any harm it would do. :)
  3. allan

allan Guest

1) What's the point? One top notch AV will do the job (NAV is my choice)
    2) Using both will require a heavy resource load (again, for no good reason)
    3) Potential conflicts may arise

It's your system - do as you will.
  4. Goldy

Goldy Guest

:confused: WHY:confused:

I'm with Allan on this one. 2 AV progs, I reluctantly have 1.
  5. PC-Dude

PC-Dude Guest

I hate to have to run NAV let alone another AV Program at the same time. But other than the system resources load it would generate, I really doubht it would cause any harm.
  6. leedogg

leedogg Gojyone kawaiiiiiiii!

I remember once back in college I had both norton and mcaffee running. I forget which did which, but there was a certain virus floating around at the time (chernoble?) and one of these av's would detect it but couldnt clean it, the other could clean it but couldnt detect it...??? So I had to use both in tandem. That was a pain. Even now I'm a little paranoid because AVG picks up things that Norton doesnt even catch a wiff of...

I've been warned that having 2 av's can be a nono, and I was wondering why...
  7. shiatsu

shiatsu OSNN Addict

I tried running AVG and McAfee at the same time but they would not play ball. It took ages to boot up the PC and AVG would disable the McAfee memory-resident scanner as soon as it loaded.

I then tried setting up AVG for disc scanning only (with it's memory-resident module disabled) but they still clashed. I did manage to get Avast32 running on the same machine as McAfee but had to set it up for on-demand disc scanning only. The main problem seem to arise if you try to have two memory-resident AV scanners running together.

8. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

Melbourne Australia
    I'd aslo go with one. Plenty good enough for me. ;)
  9. gonaads

gonaads Beware the G-Man Political User Folding Team

Unless you are really paranoid there is no need to run two(2) AV proggies simultaneously. Pick one(1) and be happy. :)

Plus some of those AV proggies out there may have memory-resident modules that may clash with the other AV Program and then nothing gets done and it's as if you had no AV at all.