Running a CS Server!

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by _DM_, Jan 18, 2003.

1. _DM_

_DM_ OSNN Senior Addict

Ok i'm running a counter strike server and i want to know why my my ip keeps on getting changed whenever i connect to the internet with dsl? The problem is that people that want to connect needs to know my ip to go on my server. thats thee problem

2. Nick M

Nick M Moderator

Because your IP changes everytime you log on, you've got a dynamic IP, it changes every time.

Static IP does not do that.

Or it's the other way around, either dynamic changes, or static, one of those :D

3. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Electronica Addict Political User Folding Team

He is right, you have a dynamic IP. You need a static IP to keep it to one, but that costs a lot of $$$...

4. _DM_

_DM_ OSNN Senior Addict

f*ckin aight thnxs for the help.

5. Nick M

Nick M Moderator

I'v never even heard of DSL with static IP.

I have cable, and it comes with static IP :) :p

There are programs that direct people to the IP though, if you have dynamic. Something like that, but you are going to have to enter the new IP manually each time, blah, it's a hassle.

6. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

Or we can solve the problem very easily. Use DNS-redirect! For instance No-IP. Works very well.

7. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

An ISP here in Sweden (Bostream) has DSL with static IP. Most of the cable companies here however use dynamic...

8. until lately most dsl around here WAS static, and it was the cable that was dynamic. while my new verizon dsl is dynamic my friend has someone else and is static, we have a server running there with email/web/etc...

the no ip thing might work or the static can be had starting for about $50 and up depends on you speed u&d

9. RobAnt

RobAnt Guest

In the UK most A-DSL services are static IP except BT Openworld, I believe. I use Demon, and that certainly is.