routers and access points - question

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by jimi_81, Apr 8, 2007.

1. jimi_81

jimi_81 Moderator Political User

Stoney Creek, ON, Canada
    I have a wireless router that supplies 2 computers with an internet connection. 1 is hardwired, 1 is wireless.

I have another computer, but no wireless card. I happen to have a spare wireless router kicking around. Can I hardwire connect this other computer to it, and somehow connect the wireless router to the wireless router supplying the internet connection? Is that what an access point is?

2. Admiral Michael

Admiral Michael Michaelsoft Systems CEO Folding Team

Short answer: No
    Long answer depends on the router you have but I seriously doubt it. The only one that may do it is one that supports a third party firmware.

A WAP (Wireless access point) is like a wireless router without the router function. It's job is to provide wireless access only, it converts a wired ethernet network to a wireless signal.

The other way around is called a wireless bridge, when you use the device to connect to a wireless network and convert that to a ethernet connection in order to connect one or more wired device without using a wireless card in each.

My Linksys WAP has the option to be a wireless bridge, BUT it can only connect to the same WAP or the WRT54G wireless router.

Hope that helps.