Router w/ no firewall?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Powerchordpunk, Jan 20, 2003.

1. Can anyone reccomend a wireless router with no firewall? I don't need a hardware firewall because:

1. It costs more money
    2. I'm happy with my software firewall (norton 2003)
    3. I don't want the hassle of forwarding ports for my FTP server and future X-Box for online play
    4. I just want the functionality of a hub for networked computers for internet, but I don't wanna pay my ISP for extra network cards (greedy jerks)
    5. I've heard some bad stories about not being able to play online games
      [/list=1]

Is a router w/ firewall not that big of a hassle or what? Thanks a lot.

2. BigPete

BigPete OSNN Sexual Deviant

Routers, because of their nature, are firewalls. Millions of people use todays routers without much hassle. 99% of the problems that people have with their routers are because the people dont know what they are doing and dont care to learn, they just ***** about it.

Any router targeted to home users will have a very easy and intuitive interface with which to forward ports and do just about anything you could want.

I have been using Linksys and Netgear's line of routers for quite sometime now and I find that they are both relatively easy and both work quite well. Of course, I am sure some people have had different experiences.

3. ditchhopper

ditchhopper OSNN Addict

Ive been using a linksys BEFSR41 for about 6 months now. I like it alot. It has a DMZ Host option that allows 1 computer on your network to be visable to the internet. Its worked great so far for most game servers Ive run, although there are a couple Ive had to forward some ports on because dmz didnt work. It has a browser type interface which I like as well. Simple. The instructions that came with it arent very thorough but the linksys site has a much more detailed version you can d/l from them.

4. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

i also have the BEFSR41... and i don't use the firewall option on it at all. i see em being sold for about $60 sometimes. and more generic brands can be found for cheaper.

5. Jz1397-5

Jz1397-5 XP Bad Ass

get linksys and set yourself as the DMZ host, thats what i did and it works fine. you can also open ports for any computer. it's a great buy.

6. Lithium

Lithium Guest

ive got a linksys wireless 4 port router and i love it. It works great ive played xbox online and it works among running a server and playing games i havent had any problems at all and the user interface is really easy to use

7. Burpster

Burpster Guest

i think i will go for a netgear over a linksys .....advice i got from a sysadmin(former blackhat)

8. thanks for all your help so far.

My friend recently got a new network with cable broadband. he has a wireless router. He hooked up xbox gamespy and could play for 1 or 2 days, but now it won't connect anymore. I know it is more complicated for playing online with xboxes over the gamespy network, but is this caused by the router?

9. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

If it worked the first two days it isn't the router.

I'm afraid you'll never get past points 3 and 5 with a NAT router. The D-Link DI-604 is very cheap and has very little firewall functions.