Router w/ no firewall?

P

Powerchordpunk

Can anyone reccomend a wireless router with no firewall? I don't need a hardware firewall because:

1. It costs more money
  2. I'm happy with my software firewall (norton 2003)
  3. I don't want the hassle of forwarding ports for my FTP server and future X-Box for online play
  4. I just want the functionality of a hub for networked computers for internet, but I don't wanna pay my ISP for extra network cards (greedy jerks)
  5. I've heard some bad stories about not being able to play online games
    [/list=1]

Is a router w/ firewall not that big of a hassle or what? Thanks a lot.

Routers, because of their nature, are firewalls. Millions of people use todays routers without much hassle. 99% of the problems that people have with their routers are because the people dont know what they are doing and dont care to learn, they just ***** about it.

Any router targeted to home users will have a very easy and intuitive interface with which to forward ports and do just about anything you could want.

I have been using Linksys and Netgear's line of routers for quite sometime now and I find that they are both relatively easy and both work quite well. Of course, I am sure some people have had different experiences.

Ive been using a linksys BEFSR41 for about 6 months now. I like it alot. It has a DMZ Host option that allows 1 computer on your network to be visable to the internet. Its worked great so far for most game servers Ive run, although there are a couple Ive had to forward some ports on because dmz didnt work. It has a browser type interface which I like as well. Simple. The instructions that came with it arent very thorough but the linksys site has a much more detailed version you can d/l from them.

i also have the BEFSR41... and i don't use the firewall option on it at all. i see em being sold for about $60 sometimes. and more generic brands can be found for cheaper.

get linksys and set yourself as the DMZ host, thats what i did and it works fine. you can also open ports for any computer. it's a great buy.

ive got a linksys wireless 4 port router and i love it. It works great ive played xbox online and it works among running a server and playing games i havent had any problems at all and the user interface is really easy to use

i think i will go for a netgear over a linksys .....advice i got from a sysadmin(former blackhat)

thanks for all your help so far.

My friend recently got a new network with cable broadband. he has a wireless router. He hooked up xbox gamespy and could play for 1 or 2 days, but now it won't connect anymore. I know it is more complicated for playing online with xboxes over the gamespy network, but is this caused by the router?

If it worked the first two days it isn't the router.

I'm afraid you'll never get past points 3 and 5 with a NAT router. The D-Link DI-604 is very cheap and has very little firewall functions.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back