Router vs. Firewalls

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Android412, Jun 12, 2004.

1. Android412

Android412 OSNN Addict

Do I need both, or will just a router work?

2. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Most routers only control incoming traffic. A software firewall is recommended in addition to a router so that you can monitor outbound traffic as well. For example, if you had a trojan or any other app that was attempting to access the internet, a router would allow the packets to pass through, whereas a software firewall would warn you with some kind of popup message before allowing the application/trojan access.

Thread Moved to Security

3. Henyman

Henyman Secret Goat Fetish Political User

on my laptop i use both, but main pc relies on router.

4. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

Some routers say they have a built in firewall (NAT) but a software firewall on a Windows machine is a good idea as it will hopefully help stop spyware/adware/trojans/ect. from connecting to the internet w/out your premission. You just have to make sure you set good rules or it makes it kinda useless. :)

5. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

whats the additional CPU overhead with most soft-ware firewalls?

6. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

Well, if you stay clean from all the crap, then the hardware firewall is fine. Hmmm, spybot and adaware perhaps?

7. Admiral Michael

Admiral Michael Michaelsoft Systems CEO Folding Team

I just use a router myself, I also run adaware and spybot on a regular basis.

8. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

SAZARs question peaked my interest so I did some tests using ZoneAlarm free home use version. I used taskmanager for my readings.

Memory Usage - ~3.5 mBytes.

CPU Utilization -
    Unless an application is trying to access the internet zonealarm's usage is 0%.

When an application accesses the internet for the first time it hits about 3% for a couple seconds utilization.

When an already approved application accesses the internet it uses 2% for a couple seconds.

I did notice my web pages were taking at least 1-3 seconds to pop up with ZA installed. With ZA turned off access time was instantaneous on many pages. Taskmanager showed no CPU usage for when the pages were loading, only when I opened IE, Eudora, etc.

There was no CPU usage when I was doing a massive download either.

I run router only on my gaming machine. Rest of the machines are router plus Zonealarm.

9. pipdipchip

pipdipchip OSNN Junior Addict

I use a router and have used Firewalls in the past but I find they just get annoying and I'm not really sure they add enough to justify the resources and such. I think you may be able to enchance your router's firewall through third-party firmware like on the Linksys WRT54G (my router). Not sure though.

10. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Now that pip mentions it there was an option in one of my linksys router firmware upgrades to integrate zonealarm with it. Haven't noticed it in a while. I had to roll back the firmware due to quirks introduced in fancier versions.

Wow. This place comes in handy. Started thinking about the firewall integration into the router and I went to check the firmware update page.

BEFSR11 update 6-4-2004 - INCLUDES a BOOTP vulnerability fix.

Check for recent updates to for your linksys routers! They finally addressed the vulnerability.

11. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

I would say ZoneAlarm is rubbish and you don't know sometimes if things contain spyware/adware or even a trojan sometimes. Always best to stop it 1st instead of having to clean it up after .. thats the way I see it anyways.

12. ApparitionX

ApparitionX Sick of it all.