Router vs. Firewalls

Most routers only control incoming traffic. A software firewall is recommended in addition to a router so that you can monitor outbound traffic as well. For example, if you had a trojan or any other app that was attempting to access the internet, a router would allow the packets to pass through, whereas a software firewall would warn you with some kind of popup message before allowing the application/trojan access.

Thread Moved to Security

on my laptop i use both, but main pc relies on router.

Some routers say they have a built in firewall (NAT) but a software firewall on a Windows machine is a good idea as it will hopefully help stop spyware/adware/trojans/ect. from connecting to the internet w/out your premission. You just have to make sure you set good rules or it makes it kinda useless. :)

whats the additional CPU overhead with most soft-ware firewalls?

Xie said:
Some routers say they have a built in firewall (NAT) but a software firewall on a Windows machine is a good idea as it will hopefully help stop spyware/adware/trojans/ect. from connecting to the internet w/out your premission. You just have to make sure you set good rules or it makes it kinda useless. :)

Well, if you stay clean from all the crap, then the hardware firewall is fine. Hmmm, spybot and adaware perhaps?

SAZARs question peaked my interest so I did some tests using ZoneAlarm free home use version. I used taskmanager for my readings.

Memory Usage - ~3.5 mBytes.

CPU Utilization -
Unless an application is trying to access the internet zonealarm's usage is 0%.

When an application accesses the internet for the first time it hits about 3% for a couple seconds utilization.

When an already approved application accesses the internet it uses 2% for a couple seconds.

I did notice my web pages were taking at least 1-3 seconds to pop up with ZA installed. With ZA turned off access time was instantaneous on many pages. Taskmanager showed no CPU usage for when the pages were loading, only when I opened IE, Eudora, etc.

There was no CPU usage when I was doing a massive download either.

I run router only on my gaming machine. Rest of the machines are router plus Zonealarm.

I use a router and have used Firewalls in the past but I find they just get annoying and I'm not really sure they add enough to justify the resources and such. I think you may be able to enchance your router's firewall through third-party firmware like on the Linksys WRT54G (my router). Not sure though.

Now that pip mentions it there was an option in one of my linksys router firmware upgrades to integrate zonealarm with it. Haven't noticed it in a while. I had to roll back the firmware due to quirks introduced in fancier versions.

Wow. This place comes in handy. Started thinking about the firewall integration into the router and I went to check the firmware update page.

BEFSR11 update 6-4-2004 - INCLUDES a BOOTP vulnerability fix.

Check for recent updates to for your linksys routers! They finally addressed the vulnerability.

I would say ZoneAlarm is rubbish and you don't know sometimes if things contain spyware/adware or even a trojan sometimes. Always best to stop it 1st instead of having to clean it up after .. thats the way I see it anyways.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back