Router Constantly Screwing up

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by thebear, May 24, 2004.

1. thebear

thebear d(-.-)b

my router has started to randomly stop working. Lately it's been doing it a lot and it's starting to get really annoying as the only way to get my internet back is turn my router off then back on...any ideas on the problem?

2. fitz

fitz Just Floating Along Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Well,

Unless you provide a little more info (brand, specific symptoms of the problem, connection setup details, etc..) I would suggest getting a new router.

3. thebear

thebear d(-.-)b

it's a D-Link Di-604, wired LAN, 2 computers, hooked up to a Speedstream DSL modem, my computer is an Athlon-XP 1.5ghz, windows XP

4. blinden

blinden OSNN Senior Addict

might sound stupid, but is it in an area of excess heat?

5. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Three things can cause lock ups:

Too hot.
    Poor power input (spikes mainly).
    The router is dying.

Eliminate the first 2 with better/cooler location and a line filter and it's new router time.

Another possibility is a firmware bug but that would probably have always been there. Check the D-link site for FAQs and firmware upgrade. Only upgrade if the new version says it helps your problem. Newer is not always better.

6. gonaads

gonaads Beware the G-Man Political User Folding Team

You could try a firmware update. Also check the cable connections to see if any have a prob. A loose connection can affect connectivity. Or a bad cable.

7. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

I've experienced poor ventilation on the router which was one reason for my router stalling. The other thing is update of firmware which also helped keep it running 24/7.