Router config

A

anewhope

Just splashed out on a router to compliment my 100MBPS Hub and Ethernet Network, but how will the router fit in? I'm using an NTL Cable modem, so Do i take the Ethernet out port on the modem into the hub and then set it up from there?

Im a bit of a n00b when it comes to networking, but learning everyday!

cable modem connected to the router, the router connected to the hub, the hub connected to you computers.

oDin.

Clarification: Modem goes inte WAN port of the router. Hub/computers goes into LAN ports.

Modem goes inte WAN port of the router. Hub or switch goes into the uplink or 4th port. other computers into 1-3 ports and the hub or switch if enough computers are on the network.

wouldn't the hub and router be redundant unless you had other networks connected? ditch the hub and stick with the router, unless the router does not have enough ports to support your network.
Natas

The hub is only needed if the ports on the router are too few, true. Or if some of the computers are far away from the router (one long line split in the hub instad of several long lines).

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back