[ Review.spoilers] Star Wars - Revenge of the Sith

Re: [Movie Review] Star Wars - Revenge of the Sith

Saw it Friday night. 3/5 overall.

Son Goku said:
Looking at Ep III, I'd have to say that Palpatine planned this all along, and this is what he wanted. He no doubt saw the same potential in Anakin (but as a Sith lord) as Obi Wan did... Given the powers Darth Sidious posessed, I'm not sure that projecting these dreams to Anakin (aka implanting them in his mind) would have been beyond his ability (though at least from the standpoint of the movies it isn't stated one way or the other). Palpatine was certainly aware of Anakin's dreams however, and also his reaction from Ep II, though how he knew (told or through using the force) is left for the viewer to imagine. That unless some other Star Wars source/book/etc out there is more specific...

I of course have some issue with the Palpatine character here (and not because the act doesn't fit the portrayal of an evil Sith Lord, or the sort of planning that an amoral politician would engage in). Rather because on a personal level, I happen to believe in a certain degree of loyalty when it comes to friendship, and Palpatine had presented himself as Anakin's friend practically from the day they met. What he was however, was something entirely different IMO...
I think that Anakin was much stronger with the force then he even thought. I think the dreams could have very well have been his own, perhaps he had some "seer" powers? That is nothing new for Jedi as I believe Yoda can do the same. (I know Bastila from KotoR can as well :p)

As for Palpatine befriending Anakin I believe it was souly for the purpose of making him his apprentice, as both an Ally and I believe he feared the other Jedi (ie Yoda, ect.) and felt w/out Anakin he was not a match. He could feel the power in Anakin and wanted to use it for himself (gread of the dark side). The dark side is all about power, and using whoever you need like a pawn to get it.

themafia.69 said:
my teacher went to bahrain to see it, he said it rocked, even though i never watched any star wars movie, when i asked him why did he turn evil, he told me "a culmination of things" can anyone tell me what those things were?
he saw prophecies of his wife/child dying so he did whatever he could to stop the visions which was turning to the dark side.

Lucas had to have something convenient so he showed some half-hearted clips of visions and all of a sudden BAM, he was changed.

Sazar said:
Lucas had to have something convenient so he showed some half-hearted clips of visions and all of a sudden BAM, he was changed.
The Emperor just played on Anakins greatest fear. He was afraid to lose his mom, Padmé, and even Obi Wan. He had been turning since Ep I, he just excepted it and let it consume him in Ep III as his fear of losing Padmé was to much.

I loved it but...

Let's put it this way, to me the Empire Strikes Back is the best one of all of them. And George Lucas didn't direct it. Irvin Kershner did. Had Lucas had any brains or had any ability to write dialog(because the actors in other movies are pretty good actors) we would have seen 1, 2 and 3 be much better. Little anakin and older anakin could have been played by monkeys and done just as good a job.

I also would really doubt that this is the end. I think and would guess that episodes 7, 8 and 9 aren't too far away. maybe 10 years away for the next one. Hell it was even written into the contract of either the guy who is inside the chewbacca or vader outfit.

(also someone was talking about what academy Luke wanted to join. I think there is a mention about his friends joining it when he argues with his Uncle Owen in the ep 4. Well later when he meets up with the rebel alliance before they make their attack on the deathstar I think Luke mentions it to one of the extra characters that it was a flying academy. Not sure if it is republic or rebel but I'm assuming it's rebel.
That's as far as my nerd knowledge goes when it comes to these movies and I hope I am right)

To add Richard Marquand directed ROTJ...so Lucas did the 1234

Xie said:
As for Palpatine befriending Anakin I believe it was souly for the purpose of making him his apprentice, as both an Ally and I believe he feared the other Jedi (ie Yoda, ect.) and felt w/out Anakin he was not a match. He could feel the power in Anakin and wanted to use it for himself (gread of the dark side). The dark side is all about power, and using whoever you need like a pawn to get it.

And yet his visions of Padme's death during child birth weren't real visions of a true future. They were concocted visions (Obi Wan wasn't even there), and in fact it was Anakin's reaction to these visions that made them come true.

Before this (and after the death of Dogul), Palpatine commented that he would have his apprentace soon. The dreams occured, Anakin reacted (to prevent it), and his reaction was the cause of her death.

Yes, power (and power for it's own sake) has very much to do with the dark side, but the schemeing and planning to get it does as well. If Palpatine could have planned all this from back at the time of the war with the Trade Federation, (not said, but not unlikely the creation of the Clone army with a dead man having given supposed "Jedi council approval" that the Council knew nothing of, to taking power in the Senate...obviously he could plan and scheme over a very long period of time. AKA, someone with the far ranging vision to know what he wants long term, the planning to make it happen, and the patience to bide his time and see it to fruition. With Anakin, he likely did much the same IMO...

Sazar said:

Perhaps for this movie, but Anakin's change was longer in the making. His actions wrt the village, slaughtering the men, the children, etc weren't exactly the image of a Jedi. I'm not sure it's something Yoda or Obi Wan would have done, for instance...

His reaction (when he was retelling it) might have been an inner battle between his good side, and his dark side as well... In any case, he didn't sound pleased with himself or particularly happy about it. The idea that Anakin would have such an inner conflict isn't without plot basis either, as Luke saw the same (again Return of the Jedi), and wanted his father to let go of that darkness and come with him...

All said, how some parts transpired, it does make sense to me, on how someone who could have been essentially good by nature (to begin with) could have turned to evil...at least psychologically speaking...

Last edited:

Son Goku said:
And yet his visions of Padme's death during child birth weren't real visions of a true future. They were concocted visions (Obi Wan wasn't even there), and in fact it was Anakin's reaction to these visions that made them come true.
Anakins visions seemed right on IMO. He only saw some of the future, not all. He took the fact that Padme was saying Obi Wan's name, and that he was being told to not trust the Jedi, that somehow Obi Wan might be responsible for her death. In the end it was his fault, but was this because he only got a partial vision of the future, or because it was clouded by the dark side?

Xie said:
Anakins visions seemed right on IMO. He only saw some of the future, not all. He took the fact that Padme was saying Obi Wan's name, and that he was being told to not trust the Jedi, that somehow Obi Wan might be responsible for her death. In the end it was his fault, but was this because he only got a partial vision of the future, or because it was clouded by the dark side?

We have a bit of a chicken and the egg problem here. AKA his visions became a self fulliling prophecy to a degree. OK, let me put it this way.

Without his intervention (his intent to change the future), the events portrayed by his visions would not have happened, and was not the future that was yet to exist. Had he not had these visions/not tried to intervene, then the future would have been different (aka a different time line, if you will). So were his visions then correct (setting aside question of whether he saw Obi Wan there as I think one poster suggested in this thread, which I was thinking about, when I replied before)?

Was his vision a foretelling of the future, or was it the catalyst for changing the future? If what he saw wasn't the "real future" that would have been, until he saw this and intervened... OK, I'm getting into time paradoxes a little here :D The "if someone could go back in time and kill their grandmother, would they still exist" would be right up there with this sort of question...

Either way, this really is something that was left up to the imagination of the viewer, unless there's something in the Star Wars "world" that specifies which Lucas intended... The possibility could be there for either, and Luke certainly did have the same power to see the future (though his vision of Leia and the other's in trouble wasn't a future that existed soley as a result of his seeing it and what would then transpire). Palpatine, as a Sith Lord likely had powers that weren't all specified as well... That Palpatine did more then just talk to Anakin (to lead him down the path Palpatine wanted him to follow) isn't out of the question, but neither is question of just how far Anakin's powers did go...

/didn't mind the story, thought the loose ends tied were ok...but the acting was brutal

needs a serious edit also

Saw it tonight, I'd give it 4.5/5. I found it to be very entertaining (that's what movies are made for).

perris said:
/didn't mind the story, thought the loose ends tied were ok...but the acting was brutal

Yeah I wish Lucas had cast someone other then a stick to play Anakin. :p

I also have a serious problem with anakin being redeemed when all is said and done

I mean he willinglynkilled innocent children.

no redemption for this kind of man in my book

perris said:
I also have a serious problem with anakin being redeemed when all is said and done

I mean he willinglynkilled innocent children.

no redemption for this kind of man in my book
One could play devils advicate and say that it was his intense fear of the death of Padme, and later being consumed by the dark side, that drove him to do such things.

perris said:

It's unfortunate that they settled on such a poor actor just because he had a couple of Mark Hamill's most prominent features. My imagination would be more easily stretched with a decent actor who looks nothing like him. Hey, they could have picked someone that looked like Leia, too.

Lame Anakin said:
"Not just the men, but the women and the children
too. They're like animals, and I slaughtered them like
animals... I hate them!"
I cringed at the monotone delivery...sounds like a third grader in a school play, not a professional actor in a multimillion-dollar blockbuster.

And this one isn't Hayden's fault, but NOBODY should call Darth Vader "Annie":
LittleOrphanAnnie_g.gif

Well the possibility for ultimate redemption wouldn't bother me so much. Way I see it, Palpatine left a trap wide open (as I'd expect someone who's evil and works in lies, deception, the shadows to do), and Anakin in his impulsiveness, rage, and impatience wasn't wise to see it for what it was...

All said though, his redemption was made rather easy in the Star Wars movies, and I've heard it argued too simple. Making one go back and facing the monster they had become, the deeds of their past (even by experiencing some of the consequences so the lesson be learned, conquer the darkness in themself, and earn that redemption would be more fitting then a "remove the mask and he redeemed" sorta thing. The way it was portrayed, justice didn't seem served...

Rumor that Lucas likes the idea of a Ep I prequal but won't have a part in it sounds interesting. :) It would make Yoda the main character and be in a time when he was leading the battle against many Sith Lords.

Btw, can anyone explain how Padme goes from being pregnant to giving birth in the space of effectively 3 days?

It's Hollywood ;) They effectively have a different calendar then the rest of humanity :angel:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back