[Review] Opera 8

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by muzikool, Apr 22, 2005.

1. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

Here's a review I found of the new version of Opera. I'm still convinced that Firefox is the way to go. Some of the main highlights are noted below.

Full Article

2. gonaads

gonaads Beware the G-Man Political User Folding Team

The last line in your quote says it all.

3. muzikool

Yeah, I especially don't see how they can continue to charge $39 for an ad-free version.

4. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

Same way alot of software companys can. They set the few and they have enough people that don't mind paying it. :p

Also death to the Fox, long live SeaMonkey. :D

5. Lee

Lee OSNN Proxy

I am sure I have said it before, especially being an IE lover I won't buy any browser as I use all other browsers for checking webs I have created, I do remember when Opera expired after 30 days, nice now though they let us have a bit of ad-aware so I can keep it for free.

I never understand why it's toted as the worlds fastest browser, IE loads pages quicker, from what I can see.

6. Xie

Not always and for sure not on Mac, Linux, *BSD, ect. ;)

7. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

I don't have a problem with them charging for it. There's a lot of work that goes into software development, and $40 is not too much to ask for in return.

With that said, I personally won't pay for something until it can do something significantly better than the free alternatives. If there was some killer-feature in Opera, I wouldn't mind paying for it. But for now, I'm doing just fine with Firefox. :)

8. muzikool

That's what I took into account when I implied that $39 was too much to ask. If it's not significantly better, or even better at all, then why would I pay that much for it?

9. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

Their browser IS very fast at rendering, can't deny that, but with a few paint/draw speed tricks, and some tweaks, other browsers (read: Fx) can rival it.

I really don't know why Opera still bother to be perfectly honest. I can hold my hands up and say that I do not know a single person who uses, or to be honest, has ever used Opera. I've used it once or twice on Windows for design testing, and once on BeOS because the browser provided was arse (and Fx didn't exist back then :D)

Would appear that some folk (less than 1% in most cases) do use it though:

speedyb.co.uk
    [​IMG]

macirc.co.uk
    [​IMG]

camportal.co.uk
    [​IMG]

10. Xie

I know 3 people that use Opera. :p

11. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.