[Review] MSN Desktop Search Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, I see it takes precedence over application-specific shortcuts then.
I'm too used to keyboard shortcuts though. Could never give up Ctrl+S for save. ;)

NetRyder said:
I haven't locked it. The taskbar itself is locked, but the deskbar just floats there under all your other windows, so you can use the hotkey combination (Ctrl+Alt+M, by default) to make it float to the top when you need to search.

I'd like to be able to lock it into place though. Also, I tried to make the shortcut Winkey+S but it changes to Ctrl+Alt+S

delta4s said:
I'd like to be able to lock it into place though.
That's not a limitation of the deskbar itself. The thing is you can't lock any toolbar once you drag it onto your desktop. :)

Also, I tried to make the shortcut Winkey+S but it changes to Ctrl+Alt+S
Yeah, this is much like assigning shortcut keys to your shortcuts in the Start menu, for example. There's no way to use the Windows key. It has to be Ctrl, Alt, Shift or a combination of two or more of them.

yeah, true it's a limitation of any toolbar. Anyway, I'm really enjoying it, esply the 2 letter shortcuts.

Delta, seems like if you set the hotkey to Shift+S, you can use Winkey+S too! :)

I love this thread and thought I'd let you all know about a plugin I made for Maxthon (an IE browser shell for those that don't know). The plugin redirects searches from MSN Search to Google. Here's my thread about it on the Maxthon forums

Please take this for what it is (a tip for maxthon users, or someone who might want to give Maxthon a try). I'd prefer not to here anything about "why don't you use firefox" or "why don't you use Opera", thanks.

On a side note:
NetRyder said:
Delta, seems like if you set the hotkey to Shift+S, you can use Winkey+S too! :)
How do you type a capital S in any of your programs then? :laugh:

FoaMDarT said:
I love this thread and thought I'd let you all know about a plugin I made for Maxthon (an IE browser shell for those that don't know). The plugin redirects searches from MSN Search to Google. Here's my thread about it on the Maxthon forums

Please take this for what it is (a tip for maxthon users, or someone who might want to give Maxthon a try). I'd prefer not to here anything about "why don't you use firefox" or "why don't you use Opera", thanks.
Thanks FoaMDarT, and welcome to OSNN. :)
I've just been using "g <search term>" to do google searches from the deskbar, using an alias.

On a side note:
How do you type a capital S in any of your programs then? :laugh:
Still works. Try it. ;)

Thanks for the welcome. :)
Yeah, I have an alias as well. I just wanted to come up with a way to not HAVE to use an alias.

NICE!

but I actually wish it wouldn't clear the search terms after a search, a la the run box...usually what I launch is the same, and it would be nice if at times it were in the box allready a la the run box

From what I've seen, that feature (to clear the box) was requested by lots of people. I usually tend to launch Firefox multiple times a day with it too...and I just leave the "fx" text in there.
We must have been outnumbered. :)

I also see you just install over the old version to keep your settings...good

Oh beautiful. There's a free ZIP IFilter (along with a few others) here:
http://www.citeknet.com/

(This means that MDS will be able to index files within ZIP archives, by the way)

nice, but the update pissed me off right away, tried to make msn my homepage and default search engine.

all is good though

There was no checkbox during the setup this time? That's how it was in the initial version.

since it's an overlay installation and I trust the program, I didn't pay attention this time...my bad

Just installed it. They still had the checkboxes, so I guess that's ok. What I didn't enjoy was the fact that I had to reboot after installation. I'm sure I had to do it the first time around too (I don't remember now), but I hope that's one step they can get rid of. ;)

Being able to select particular Outlook/OE folders for indexing is a "hot" feature-request as per the Channel9 Wiki. I hope that's implemented in the next iteration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back