Retrieve installed Half-Life key?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Glass, Mar 3, 2004.

1. Glass

Glass sgàthan ìnnleachd

I have been playing DoD 1.0 forever, but now I want to install Steam but I lost my CD case. The CD key has got to be somewhere on my PC. I looked in the registry under HKUC/software/valve/half-life/settings/ but there's no key value there. Where is the key stored for DoD 1.0?

2. xsivforce

xsivforce Prodigal Son Folding Team

Make sure any answers to this thread are legal.

3. Petros

Petros Thief IV

I don't have the DoD standalone (which I assume you have), so I don't know where it stores the key, but try doing registry searches for different things like "DoD", "Defeat", or the name of the company that publishes it (Vivendi?). Hopefully it should turn something up.

4. sboulema

sboulema Moderator

use th half-life keychanger. its a small uitlity that will give you youre key you are using and can store multiple keys for easy switching. do a search or it...

5. champ2005

champ2005 | xs |

you can also use the search tool in the registry to search for "cdkey" etc

6. Yharn

Yharn meh.

or you could just install steam. It will automatically use your key from the installed software. Then when you are done installing steam you can remove the old software.

7. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Yeah, provided you have it installed still the data will be in the registry.
    Keep in mind tho, that once this key is used by someone for Steam, the key can never be used again.