Restricting what a user can do...

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by phatphunky, Apr 13, 2002.

1. phatphunky

phatphunky Guest

I'm hoping someone can help me... I'm using the computer as Administrator and I've setup an account called Kids, for the kids, but I want to make sure they can't even so much as change the desktop background, only execute the programs I have in their programs folder, but I can't seem to do this... any suggestions?

pHat & pHunky
  2. Qumahlin

Qumahlin Moderator

you'd have to set them as limited users...then you can use secpol.msc and gpedit.msc to change user policies and the like...just look through the options and's a pain to set up sometimes, but it can be for blocking changing the background not sure if ya cna do that natively in windows :p
  3. clutch

clutch Guest

You can do both of the things you listed using the group policy apps that were previously mentioned. Just remember that "User" settings override "Machine" settings when you are doing this. Basically, you can limit access to the display control panel applet (you can even enforce what desktop and screensaver you want them to use) and you can select what apps they can run. I would recommend browsing through all the options first, and then setting aside a test machine to enforce these on. You can do this by making a test OU in your AD and then assigning the test box to it and make sure that the new policy is bound to the new OU, and that just to make sure that only your policy is being enforced, you might want to block any policy inheritence that currently exists.