Restricting Acces to Internet

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Moonacres, Feb 25, 2006.

1. Moonacres

Moonacres OSNN One Post Wonder

Hi Folks,

Sort of a newbie here. My question is this. I have a small network at home with 5 pc's connected and they all can see each other as well as browse the internet. However what I want to do is restrict internet access on 2 of the pc's (the kids machines) so that they will only be able to access the internet during a pre-determined time period.

I am using a D-link704P router and I am not sure ( better yet clueless) as to how to go about this. I have checked on D-Link's web site but I have not seen anything that can help ( unless I am blind).

Anyway, any help or guidance would be appreciated.

2. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

Essentially you would want to check if your router supports time control. If it does, you can enter the IP of the kid machines and set date/time information as to when surfing is not allowed.

Lemme go see if I can find a manual for that product...
  3. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

Happy Valley
    Like what DJ said, you can go into your router and set time frames according to the ip of the client machines. You may have to assign a static ip to each machine to set up it right though. Above all, it is fairly easy to do.
  4. Admiral Michael

Admiral Michael Michaelsoft Systems CEO Folding Team

I believe this is what you're looking for, that is if your router supports it which I think it will.

Attached Files:

5. Moonacres

Moonacres OSNN One Post Wonder

OKay yes I have that screen admiral but when I input the info the pc's still have access. This is what I have inputted:

The settings listed are for 1 pc to start off. I wanted to test first before implementing it.

Again thanks to all for your help and suggestions.

6. Admiral Michael

Admiral Michael Michaelsoft Systems CEO Folding Team

First of all you should set static IPs or at least static dhcp entries so that the computers you want to restrict dont get a different IP.

If it's just 1 computer I would put I believe you can use * in both port range boxes to block everything.

Finally goto System>Time and make sure the time is set, I wouldn't use the automatic method.