Restoring my OS

howardtheduck

OSNN Junior Addict
I bought a new desktop from gateway via big name retailer a few months ago. It's been running fine but I wanted to strip all the unwanted apps that came with it and just install the windows xp media center that came with it. Not easy. It's just a restore disk. I cant pick and chose what to install and what not. I can only bring it back to factory settings, which include AOL and other crap. Even the recovery partion on my HD is unaccessible. Anyway around this???? THanks for any help!!

1) Contact gateway and tell them you need a real copy of your OS. They should be willing to send one. There might be a $10-20 processing fee.

Do not tell them why you want it! Make up some story.

2) Or, any XP media center CD should work with your CD key. You will want to slipstream the Gateway hardware drivers onto the CD for an easy install. There should be updated driver files on the gateway site for download. This is perfectly legal since all CD's are the same. The is your liscence and determines funcitonality.

Either way make sure you do not format your recovery partition. You will need it if anything goes wrong.

They dont provide a "real copy" they have their own OEM image and thats all you will get from them

Download an OEM torrent and use your cd-key

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back