Reshack Help Please

Discussion in 'Desktop Customisation' started by indyjones, Apr 4, 2004.

1. indyjones

indyjones OSNN.net Adventurer

Resource hacking shell32.dll files - Help Please

Hi there
    I know a few of you like Netryder have been using the great free tool called reshack to change icons within your dll files.
    What I would like is help on making my own custom dlls from older ones.
    The thing is I have some edited up shell32.dll files for example and reshack allows your to export all the custom files from it (such as icons, avis etc).
    Is there a way to import these into your new, (newer version) file ? Because manually doing it one-by-one takes forever.

2. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

I haven't ever built a whole custom shell32.dll file from scratch. I just think it's too much work. [​IMG]
    All of the custom files that I have were hacked by other people and posted as public downloads on various forums that I visit. Unfortunately, a lot of these links are dead now.

As for your question, I'm not sure how you could go about exporting ALL your resources from an old version of a file, and reimporting them all into the new version. It might be possible...I just don't know how.

3. indyjones

ahhh ok NetRyder nevermind then :) I know how to export all resources (in reshack you just go to export all) but was seeing if there was a way to automate. Thanks anyway :)

4. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

I agree that manually doing it takes forever, because I just did one a few days ago. But I also agree with NetRyder in that it's a serious undertaking to build one from the ground up.

By the way, have you had good luck with replacing your shell32.dll? Are you using Replacer to do it? Just curious. :)

5. indyjones

yeah I have had no problem replacing the system files, I am currently using a shell pack, which replaces system files like mydocs.dll as well. Shame there is no easier way to batch transfer resources :(
    When I use replace I always boot into safe-mode and run it from there

6. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

Gotcha. Hopefully we'll see some utilities in the future that will make this all much easier. :)