reQUALISIZING avi files

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by dubstar, Mar 19, 2003.

1. dubstar

dubstar format c:

how can i change the quality of AVI files to fit on 700mb CD-Rs.. im tired of changing them to MPEG and not even fitting and then doing the sound seperatly and all that. im trying to do this for a my college class, and its just material i've shot using my schools dvd video camera..

thanks in advance.

some of them are just off by a little, while others a lot!

2. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

Uhh, well... what are you doing with the AVI files now, besides changing them to MPEG and all that mess? What codecs are you using to compress the audio and video? DivX? XVid? Nothing at all? I've got plenty of 2 hour+ movies backed up on my system that run just under 700MB, mostly encoded in DivX.

3. dubstar

dubstar format c:

i have DIVX Codex Pro 5.0.2, and i used to use TMG, but it never worked the way i needed it to, always made the files too big, didnt have a setting to change the quality/size.

4. muzikool

Hmm... I assume that compressing with the DivX codec doesn't make the files small enough? Are you compressing the audio too? I know you can choose the quality of the source file to be output; can you not reduce the quality to the degree that you still have a good quality file that has been reduced to the size that you need?

5. dubstar

dubstar format c:

correct, i pretty much need something that will decode dvds and make them into ~700mb vcds.

6. Luna64

Luna64 Guest

Doing that would be easy with Divx.

If you use the correct settings that is.

Best check out the divx forum at www.divx.com , and www.doom9.net

7. muzikool

So you need to end up with VCDs? That will take a lot more work, and I don't know of anything you can do to get around it.