Fixed Reputation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dig the new changes, puts things back in perspective. However, since this is a tech site that revolves around helping people out with technical questions shouldn't rep be an indicator of how helpful someone is? So, back to this idea that has been proposed before.

Should rep be moderated?

I know it would be a lot of work to stay on top of it, but I really think that's what it would take to ensure that rep actually means something. I can't even begin to tell you how much 'random' rep I've gotten for pointless things. Birthdays, because I'm awesome, because I said something cool about some game, etc etc. The amount of 'real' rep that makes up my total count is probably about half or less.

I dig the new changes, puts things back in perspective. However, since this is a tech site that revolves around helping people out with technical questions shouldn't rep be an indicator of how helpful someone is? So, back to this idea that has been proposed before.

Should rep be moderated?

I know it would be a lot of work to stay on top of it, but I really think that's what it would take to ensure that rep actually means something. I can't even begin to tell you how much 'random' rep I've gotten for pointless things. Birthdays, because I'm awesome, because I said something cool about some game, etc etc. The amount of 'real' rep that makes up my total count is probably about half or less.
I would 2nd that notion.

Perhaps if we look at this system a little down the line when my plate isn't so full we can do something like this. Or if someone can read up and suggest something to me ;)

Well IMO, people post in hopes to get rep without really caring about the content. This includes things like having conversations in threads, giving rep and asking for it in return, etc. Now that you basically can earn it based on the post count, yikes.

I don't see a need for it honestly. The fact that it is compromised and abused makes it all the less valuable. If we do away with it, hopefully it will cut down on the useless babble that plagues our tech areas. Green Room is one thing, but stupid **** everywhere else gets annoying and makes skimming threads not possible, which leads to not reading threads.

Just my .02

I feel you need a penalty if people are handing out rep or asking for rep for no reason.

Penalize them 25% of their total rep and it would not take long before people would only rep for a good reason.

Negative rep was tried and did not go down well.
To be honest, I adjusted the numbers down because they were comically big.

They are smaller now but still don't mean a great deal, some people like having rep though so I am happy to leave things as they are now until we can work up a meaningful system.

can rep be moderated? lol :)

Maybe have a 6 month rolling rep or something - where rep given 6 months ago just drops off..

What if only the thread starter (the person needing help) was the only person that could give rep to someone? Also, perhaps make it so it works only in forums that it would apply (aka hardware, software, ect.) not "happy birthday" threads.

I don't think the current reputation system is that clever.

Yea I don't know what to say. I like having the system as it is now, but at the same time I don't care if it's not there. So huh.

Yes, stop making more work for me or I will blow the dust off my pimp slapping glove.

Yea I don't know what to say. I like having the system as it is now, but at the same time I don't care if it's not there. So huh.

I agree 100% with this post. I just don't know what it means.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back