replacing pad with paste on LeadTek 6800GT

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by ElementalDragon, Jun 18, 2005.

1. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon The One and Only

ok.... i know that when putting paste on a CPU, you get all the original paste off with cotton swabs/paper towels and rubbing alcohol, apply a small ammount of paste to the top of the cpu and spread it out with a credit card or something flat to use, and if you want, spread a very small ammount on the part of the heatsink that comes in contact with the top of the CPU so that only a film remains. Would it be the same process to put thermal paste on the video card too? or is there something different i have to do? Would i also put the paste on the top of the memory chips too? If you know of a website with a nice walkthrough that i could breeze through beforehand, that'd be nice.

2. zeke_mo

zeke_mo (value not set) Staff Member Political User Folding Team

you dont even need to spread it that far on a cpu, just do pea size in the center then lay on the HS. When I had my old 6800GT and I put my NV5 on it, I put Arctic silver 5 on the cpu(its a 1/2" inch (about) square, I would cover the entire thing. As far as the RAM I would only put some on there if you plan on over clocking, or if you are paranoid about heat :)

3. ElementalDragon

well...... aren't you..... SUPPOSED to spread the paste out? i mean.... i've never seen a site where they walked you through it, and all they said was "yeah..... just put a dot of it on there and shove the thing on. it'll be fine"

4. 2z

2z OSNN Gamer

it is the same process for video cards, too much paste acts as insulator,
    My 6800 GT was fitted as zeke_mo described there was even a blob of paste on the thermal pads, rendering them useless.
    I couldnt play games for longer than a couple of hours without it crashing.
    Not had one single lock-up since re-applying the paste.

My guess is :- the manufacturers dont want to pay for the extra time it would take to do a proper job.

*_*

5. ElementalDragon

well..... reapplied it..... boy was that a pain in the arse. might not have had to, since i forgot that when i removed the heatsink last time, it was thermal pads on the back side of the card (opposite side of the GPU and RAM chips itself) for extra cooling measures i guess, and paste on the RAM and GPU. seems to be running like 3 degrees cooler now though. didn't fix my stuttering problem though..... hopefully a soon-to-be format will fix that.

6. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

What stuttering problems? In games? Have you tried turning down extras or trying a different set of drivers? I don't think heat would cause stuttering in games or anything, it usally causes artifacts and BSOD's. :)

7. ElementalDragon

nah.... games seem to run fine....... tried different drivers. just from something (which i'm guessing that something was my CPU) overheating, it hasn't ran on-par with what it should be running at. think maybe all the immediate shutdowns may have forked somethin up in Windows itself, cause u know how like.... just after you format, you browse the internet to find stuff, maybe video card drivers, and if you're on a website with pictures or nice borders the scrolling will lag a little bit every once in a while? yeah.... that's what it's doing.

edit: just ran Sisoft Sandra's CPU Arithmetic Benchmark, and now it's saying that it's performance rating is up around a P4 3.0C, which is where mine is since i have it OC'd. so it doesn't seem like it'd be a hardware problem. used to say it was performing at like.... a P4 1.6 or somethin. might just format tonight...... dunno yet though. hate going through the entire process..... one of these days i should just make a backup of the crap right after i get everything where i like it.

8. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

Fresh install and then image it. It'll save you alot of hassle.